We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenya
Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

Does anyone know if the ferry service from Dar to Zanzibar is still running? We have received conflicting information from travel agents, and some websites don't seem to have updated information. Thanks!

Kathmandu, Nepal
reviews: 28
11. Re: Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

Realize you posted a while ago, and may have actually already been there and back, but thought I'd add my offering:

If you want the Swahili culture without the hassle of getting your car to Zanzibar, why not drive the extra 4 hours down to Kilwa? Great town, several nice little hotels, and the island (with the ruins) is really nice... of course I grew up in the Andes, so my idea of a good time for kids is letting them run amok around ancient stone ruins!

Also, if it is just the culture you want (plenty of beautiful beaches in Kenya, I know!), why not just plan to go to Stone Town for one night? Ferry out there mid day (find out if you can leave your car in the guarded parking lot of one of the big hotels downtown... may have to pay a little, but better a little now than losing everything!). Enjoy the sights and sounds of Stone town, sip a coffee in the kaya room, eat dinner at Fordhani gardens (your kids will love the "Zanzibari Pizza" a crepe filled with your choice of goodies), stay at a charming little hotel in a renovated arabic trader's house (you wouldn't be able to get your car near enough to park anyway!), check out the House of Wonders the next morning, or go on a spice tour (the hotel will arrange transportation), then get in a little shopping before hopping back on the ferry that afternoon!

Then head to South beach to work on your tan.

Have fun!

Kenya
12. Re: Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

This trip is already settled (the car ferry obviously NOT a good idea!) but thank you for the tip about Kilwa, which sounds like an undiscovered gem.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 34
13. Re: Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

Hi, just read your query about car ferry to Zanzibar from Dar. I stayed most of October in Zanzibar. There are definitely ferries that transport cars. If you get a comprehensive schedule of ALL the ferry services, there is a large range of what is available from the super fast, extremely comfortable air.con (eg. SeaStar that takes 2 hours0; to the overnight ferries that take several hours. I have seen them pull up literally on the beach in front of Tembo and Archipeligo cafe in Stonetown, open up the end of the ferry, and hey presto, out come the vehicles and whatever else. Dont know the name of the particular one that does this trip. Abel, the Manager at Swiss Garden Hotel in Dar=es=Salaam sent me a very good schedule by e.mail, so maybe you can ask him to send it to you,, there were several ferry services listed. Other wise google Dar/Zanzibar ferry services. Enjoy incomparable Zanzibar!

DianneMuriel(Cairns)

Dar es Salaam...
reviews: 79
14. Re: Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

there are about six daily connections in both directions but only one is for vehicles

15. Re: Is the ferry from Dar to Zanaibar still running?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 11, 2010