We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo album final part: Ndutu

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 19
Photo album final part: Ndutu

Whew, its taken quite a while but I've finally finished processing my photos and putting together the web pages. The last installment is from our three days at Ndutu Lodge. This is the section with the long series of the four young Cheetahs just learning to kill; we spent close to an hour with them torturing this poor Wildebeest calf; when we left it was still alive. I really don't know how I took these photos as most of the time I had my eyes closed or was looking the other direction. Every once in a while I looked to see if it was dead yet...it wasn't. Its actually not very bloody--but it was heart-wrenching to watch (or barely-watch, as the case may be.)

Anyway, there are also some more pleasant photos of birds. bat-eared fox, honey badger, and non-eating lions and even a leopard.

jczinn.com/East%20Africa/…eafindex.html

For those who haven't seen my other photos of this trip they can be reached from the main page here:

jczinn.com/East%20Africa/…eafindex.html

And now linked from my home page as well.

For those of you who may be new links to my full trip report "Northern Circuit with a birding twist" can be found under the pinned trip report thread, Post #32.

Mfuwe please double-check those birds! :)

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
1. Re: Photo album final part: Ndutu

More great pictures JCZ. Loved them all. Not just one Honey Badger but mum and cub. Too much!

The younger lion at the lake is very striking in colouration. Nice Leopards.

Birds? Well what can I say? Great portraits! Why can't somebody think of a better name for the Variable Sunbird? I checked em all as instructed. Not totally comfortable with the Ruppell's Vulture. Plumage and eye colour don't stand scrutiny. Maybe you have a hybrid?

Benson, Arizona
reviews: 1
2. Re: Photo album final part: Ndutu

Loved the photos...could not watch the Cheetahs....lions and others stupendous....and the birds WOW!!!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 90
3. Re: Photo album final part: Ndutu

Beautiful shots, as always. Great clear closeups of the genets. Best I have seen yet, really able to see the delicate features and facial markings.

I have really enjoyed your travel photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 19
4. Re: Photo album final part: Ndutu

Thanks Mfuwe I will take a second look at the Vulture. Perhaps a White-backed? But the bill color suggests Rupell's. Hmmm, I don't know if they hybridize...

Thanks veniceJ and QM for taking a look and your kind comments. Those Ndutu genets are surely the most photographed individuals in Tanzania :)

5. Re: Photo album final part: Ndutu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 01, 2014