We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empakaai crater / Empakai crater hike

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 14
Empakaai crater / Empakai crater hike

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Karatu to the Empakaai crater from experience? I would like to know whether it's possible to do a day trip to and from Karatu.

I am getting mixed messages with a forum member saying 5 hours drive one way, and another saying its only 60km so about 2 hours - vastly different estimates!

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
1. Re: Empakaai crater / Empakai crater hike

The poster that suggest 2 hours is incorrect and probably using Google.

From Karatu to Ngorngoro Sopa is 45km, 16km Tar and the rest dirt. From there Nainokanoka, at the foot of Olmoti is another 15km of very bad road/track. That gives the 60km mentioned.

From there it must be at least 20km on to the slopes of Empakai and the track is very poor. Most folk walk it quicker over the Bulbul depression..

So I would suggest, from my own experience, the five hours there and five back is nearer the mark.

I would not suggest this as a worthwhile day trip especially if you wish to descend into the crater.

2. Re: Empakaai crater / Empakai crater hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 30, 2014