We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

Payback time for the mining companies and Chinese interests for "help" to the gov at the elections?

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Posted on the Kenya forum

Ivan

Milnerton, South...
reviews: 47
11. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

I don't understand how this can be a good idea when there are viable alternatives with far lesser impacts on the environment and surroundings. Only short term commercial & political interests are being served by this plan.

I am a travel consultant and environmental professional and from both points of view the potential impacts are too great to throw precaution to the wind.

Toronto, Canada
12. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

If you think that the Tanzanian government is acting with the benefit of its impoverished people in mind, and not mining, shipping and development consortiums, then you are naive, foolish and dangerous. Disrupting the entire ecosystem and the millions of lifeforms it supports, not least of which is the Tanzanian tourist industry, for human convenience and profit is despicable and mercenary. You should really be ashamed at writing that the highway is a good thing for Tanzania.

13. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

Please, STOP. the Serengeti highway! The Serengeti is one of the very few places left on earth that is not ruined by man. Please, NO!

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
14. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

I am not coming back to continue the for or against argument.

I am coming back to object strongly to some people obviously thinking, assuming they do think, that posting on a Travel forum is somehow going to change things. Many of these posts are from One Post Wonders and a glance at their travel maps shows that they have never been any where near East Africa let alone Tanzania .

Obviously somebody has prompted these people to post here. To my mind it simply degrades their cause and is meaningless.

When one or two then seek to castigate a long term poster who has his heart and soul in Tanzania I think their attempts pathetic and reflect on their lack of true knowledge of the issues.

I hope the Moderators see this and strike out the whole thread.

Huntingdon, United...
15. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

Please advise how I can disconnect from Travel Advisor. I do not want to be associated with any construct that advocates a Serengeti Highway. If you cannot take hard travelling then DON'T TRAVEL! We're discussing wild Africa - not some overbuilt conurbation. NO TO ANY SERENGETI HIGHWAY!

Sacramento...
16. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

"Serengeti darf nicht sterben" - einen Highway mitten hindurch zu bauen, wäre der sichere Tod für dieses empfindliche Ecosystem. Bitte nicht weiter proopagieren. Es gibt eine alternative Route im Süden, von der fünf Mal so viele Menschen profitieren würden, und die die Populationen im Park unbehelligt liesse.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Unterstützung!

Barbara

Hampton, Virginia
17. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

A highway through the Serengeti is NOT a good idea. There is an alternate route to the South that will benefit many more people. Please do not support the highway construction through the Serengeti!

18. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, June 29, 2013
nyc
19. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

Lots of OPWs... these are the ones that should be deleted.

And to "The original JT" who asked to be disconnected from TA... you shouldn't have posted in the first place on something of which you know little. So if you don't want to be connect, don't post again... joila you're disconnected!

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 19
20. Re: Serengeti highway back on the agenda?

I'm not getting into this argument, but to respond to Mfuwe's question of how these folks are being sent here--the Stop the Serengeti Highway Facebook page posted this on Facebook this morning and urged people to make their voices heard.

Okay, so since I am a fan of that page you can see which side of the issue I am on. BUT I certainly don't think this travel forum is the place to debate it. Also, these folks seem to have the opinion that a "destination expert" speaks for TripAdvisor, which is far from the case.

Folks, that is one man's opinion and not any kind of official opinion of TripAdvisor! Its ridiculous to say you are going to boycott TripAdvisor because they allowed an opinion to be published that does not agree with your own.