We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 4
Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

Hi all,

I am going back to Tanzania for my second trip in October of this year (just booked flights!!!). This time I am taking my mom and my aunt with me. We will be doing a 5-day safari (Ngorongoro and Serengeti) and then I will be staying in Usa River to visit with the family that hosted me last time and various other things. I'd like to send my aunt on a day trip to Lake Manyara NP since I don't think the visiting and things will be of too much interest to her.

I am wondering whether anyone knows whether it's possible to arrange for her to join a group for this day trip. The cost of going solo is one issue but more importantly, I think she would prefer going with other people over going alone (perhaps I am projecting my own feelings having gone by myself last time). She is a keen birder so it would be great to find some sort of "bird-watching day trip" if such a thing exists. Maybe wishful thinking.

Thanks for any help.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 93
1. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

Theoretically, the companies listed under Tours in the Tanzania Activities section of TA are there because they offer day tours. You can review them and their websites.

However, I think it is unlikely to find group tours to fit your specific date unless it was sold by a tout....which you don't want. It seems to be rare that Tanz based comoanies run frequent and reliable group tours....but I would love it if you can prove me wrong.

You moght also consider a day trip to Arusna NP. It is a lovely park, similar in somewhats to Manyara but closer to Usa River and not as long a drive as Manyara.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
2. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

We found Lake Manyara (March 2013) boring after going to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro. There was nothing we saw there that we hadn't see elsewhere and the volume of wildlife was far less than anywhere else we had been. Un;ess there is something specific you want to see there I would use your day another way.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
3. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

Whilst I am a great fan of Lake Manyara NP I don't think it benefits from a 'group' visit. You know, in the gate laugh at the Babons, whizz around the Hippo Pool and out again and "what was all that about?"

Which is all that most folks do because that is what their driver does.

And the Group won't want to stop for birds! Frustration will set in.

As Auntie likes birds she would find it interesting but also Arusha NP would do the same thing for a day trip.

Two plusses. Much nearer. Maybe half an hour from Usa river area and some very different birds.

Group? No. Hire in an expert birder for the day and take a walk in the Park. She will have a ball.

Edited: 5:05 am, April 01, 2013
London, United...
4. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

Thanks all for the advice. I will look at setting up a day in Arusha NP with a birder - that seems like a good bet.

AgentM- thanks for the input; I've been to Lake Manyara too and found it less "spectacular" than Ngorongoro but the diversity of bird life will be interesting for my aunt. She's unlikely to have the chance to come to Tanzania again so I'd like to give her as many bird watching opportunities as possible!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 93
5. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

If you don't know this website, it might help you get a birder in the Usa River area. http://www.birdingpal.org/Tanzania.htm The website is supposed to be a place that one can meet with local birders to show you around. Buy them coffee or lunch depending on the length of time. I would look at the professional ones on the list, ans then you know upfront what their costs will be. otherwise you might be hit on for money that you didn't expect. Sorry for the pessimistic comment on this, but TIA (This is Africa) Your aunt will appear rich beyond any African's dreams so may be tempted to give a sob story. Otherwise ask the company doing your safari what they can arrange.

London, United...
6. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

That's great, thanks very much!

7. Re: Group day trips to Lake Manyara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2014