We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
reviews: 19
RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

Dear Tripadvisors,

My family and I are finalizing our Tanzania safari itinerary and we have pretty are pretty much set on RA Safaris or Detasa (Destination Tanzania Safaris), depending solely on the price at this point (we've done research, compared itineraries, asked for references about specific guides, etc).

Does anybody have any advice whether we should pick one over the other? Remember that at the end of the day, the MOST important thing for us is to have a guide with eagle eyes. We want him/her to spot and identify every animal in sight, whether it's a leopard hidden in a tree, a pangolin crawling through the grass, or a caracal off in the distance.

Any help will be welcomed! Thanks in advance!

19 replies to this topic
Port Orchard...
reviews: 32
1. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

I just returned from a 10 day safari with Basecamp. I cannot say enough good things about them. I would not hesitate to use them again and would recommend them to anyone. We had Joseph as our guide and we identified over 125 different birds! You can PM me if you want to. I will write a more complete report in a few days when I recover from jet lag!

Honolulu, Hawaii
reviews: 6
2. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

We did a safari with Base Camp last August and are planning another with them already. Also had Joseph as our guide and just love him. Can't wait to have him again next year.

3. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, June 16, 2013

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 27
4. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

You have to ask yourself why someone felt the need to revive this six month old post ? And on the same day decided to answer a request for information on a different safari operator with a plug for this same safari company. Almost every post on the Tanzania forum has been a plug for this company . If I recall correctly, there was a lot of drama involving prior posts about this company involving a lot of abusive posts on the forum that were removed and some nasty private messages being sent to others in late 2011/early 2012. Some of us on the Tanzania forum have a long memory!

Saint Louis...
reviews: 19
5. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

Well, I just got a notification in my email that this forum has been revived. I am the original poster and here is what I will say: (for more specifics, personal messages please)

I ended up booking with RA Safaris, and my opinion is mixed. On one hand, their management was superb, actually exceeding other companies we talked with, as far as logistics. Also, unfortunately we had an emergency situation on the last day, and their manager Gideon couldn't have provided a better service.

BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID, The guide was far inferior to our expectations and experiences with other guides in the world. He did NOT explain to us anything we didn't specifically asked for, and was not interested in waking up early or staying as late as we legally can, to maximize our wildlife experience. We specified that we wanted a guide who has an eagle eye and can spot also the small and rare wildlife: mongoose, caracal, servals, foxes, aardwolves, honey badgers etc. Granted, some of the animals we wanted to see are very rare and elusive, but not at any point did I feel like our guide tried super hard nor was I impressed with his spotting ability. In fact, when I spotted a honey badger, he didn't see him and thought I was wrong, and then when he realized it was in fact a honey badger he drove off the marked trail (illegal) and scared the animal into a burrow before we could take a picture. I yelled "Stop stop stop stop" until I just gave up and enjoyed the moment, only for a minute or so before the big disappointment that he crawled into a burrow. I can go on and on, but the conclusion is that despite RA having excellent management, finding us rooms in lodges and camps that others claimed were already full, I wouldn't take them again because when it comes down to it, you're stuck with the same guide the whole time, 12 days in our case.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
6. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

I remember the guy from Brazil who resurrected this old post, from when he was posting in 2011/12. The best thing to do with him is ignore him. For some reason he is enamored with RA and he has nothing to peg it to. All he does is cut and paste his old posts, and rave when you disagree with him.

Sao Paulo, SP
reviews: 29
7. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

Actually we should ignore people, who patrol a free forum. Probably because has financial and unethical interest in defending Tour Operators. In the other hand, I am a free traveler, with no interest in any tour operator, who just had a lifetime experience with a specific tour operator who provided to me and my family a high level of professionalism and customer care. Everyone can and I highly encourage to do talk and ask for feedback regarding service provided by RA.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
8. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

Why do you cut and paste what you said several years ago on a year old post? You go beyond what is reasonable for a free traveler who had a good experience. By posting, all cut and paste, and being a pest on other people's posts, you become a pest and lose credibility in what you have to say.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 151
9. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

Agree with Karl. I have no financial interests in and TO or tourism field. Neither does Karl.

This guys really hurts his credibility. Just to be clear, it isn't a free speech forum, it is a privately owned company promoting a travel forum with their rules and their experts. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. I love it (as do many others).

Thanks for the honest feedback on RA instead of a cut review posted all over several posts.

10. Re: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, June 16, 2013

Reply to: RA Safaris? Detasa? Basecamp?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted