We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari in December

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 20
Safari in December

Hello All

We are in transit through Africa in December and have about 3-4 days. We have a choice for any airport among NBO, JRO, DAR etc.

I'm reading through all forums but confused which place to take safari from. My current reading suggests JRO.

Can you please advise for 4 full days in Decemeber (around Christmas) which place would be best to start Safari from for maximum animals around that time? Also what would be the tour options, given only 4 days?

Thank you

Angel

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
1. Re: Safari in December

Angel

If you look at the questions on the top right hand corner you will get many answers to your questions.

But i would start in Arusha, JRO and head off to tarangire and Ngornogoro. as your time is llimited.

If you want to see the Serengeti then I would fly in and fly out.

Find a local operator and ask them for options. many listed on here.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 108
2. Re: Safari in December

I agree with Noexpert - Arusha is "safari capital" and JRO is about an hour from there. As he says, either Crate and Tarangire via jeep, or fly in and out of Serengeti.

California
3. Re: Safari in December

Thank you. Thanks for ponting out the "right hand corner questions" - i never noticed that ..strange.. This is excellent.

By the way, is there any operator (I searched but couldn'f find one yet), who can offer a package from Arusha:

1) fly in a private plane around Kilimanjaro Peak.

2) fly to serengeti and ground Safari in serengati and back.

3) ground Safari in tarangire and Ngornogoro

Thank you

Angel

nyc
4. Re: Safari in December

Angel-ca - 4/days only?

From California, so 'in transit' from where? (before arriving Tanzania)...to where (on departing Tanzania)?

Know this is peak season, at peak prices and some lodges/camps even assess holiday surcharges... many of which are already booked.

California
5. Re: Safari in December

We are flying to Dubai for vacation and figured that price for emirate flight is same sfo-dxb or (sfo-dar or sfo-Nbo with a stop in Dubai).

Hence trying to see if we can do 6 days. One day flying in, 4 days safari, and 1 day flying out.

Since we only get to do vacation when kids are off, understandably we have to pay for peak season.

Thank you

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
6. Re: Safari in December

Angel if you look at the 4th post down on the right you will find many operators mentioned. Email about 5 and see what they come up with. Tell them exactly what you think you want and then ask also for ideas.

Edited: 1:58 am, September 04, 2012
7. Re: Safari in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:35 am, September 04, 2012
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 8
8. Re: Safari in December

Yes, look at the 4th link down on the Top Questions and you will find lots of safari operators suggested.

The Serengeti is a one day drive from Arusha (and while there will be some game-viewing on the way, it is mostly just travel there. So if you drive one day to Serengeti and one day back, that only leaves you with 2 days in the Serengeti, that's why you should fly if you want to go there.

What you can do is take one day in the Tarangire, one day at Ngorongoro Crater (these are both on the way to Serengeti) then go to the Serengeti for a day or two, and fly back to Arusha. This would maximize your game-viewing experience given the amount of time you have.

Get your bookings is as soon as possible, this being a busy high season accommodations will book up quickly. One of the things you might want to consider is having the safari operator take tents along to sleep in, they would also take a cook to do the cooking and setting up the camp, much less expensive and you will know you have accommodations. If that would be roughing it too much for you, perhaps you could take a night or two at a lodge also.

nyc
9. Re: Safari in December

Thanks for clarifying.

If on Emirates, they only fly into NBO and DAR... not JRO.

If into NBO, which flight arrives about 3pm, you can catch an ongoing flight (50/min) to JRO, from where you can visit the northern circuit parks - Tarangire, Ngorongoro & Serengeti. You'd require an overnight Arusha on arrival and commence safari next morning.

If you fly into DAR, you'd have to take a flight north to JRO or Arusha/ARK (also about 1/hr) and depending on schedule might have to o/n DAR with flight earliest next morning to JRO or ARK to commence safari directly. But if you can get a flight same day, you'd still have to o/n Arusha and commence safari next morning. It's dark by 6:30pm and not advised to be on roads after that hour; if flying to/from Serengeti, next flight is next morning abut 8am.

Whether into NBO or DAR, on the return, you'll have to be aware of flight schedules back to either in order to connect to flight to DXB.

Homebound flights out of NBO are either 5pm (and believe at night); out of DAR, about 5:45pm or later (and believe at night) Not sure about the later flight times, as if/when I fly Emirates, always use the late-afternoon ones.

As others mention, which such short time on-the-ground and the busy season, if you choose the Serengeti, it'll have to be fly-in/fly-out; otherwise, visit Tarangire and Ngorongoro Crater which will provide excellent game viewing as if only the Serengeti.

Suggest you seriously get moving with contact of a few outfitters who can assist and even advise likelihood of space availability whether lodges or tented camp. Good Luck!

California
10. Re: Safari in December

Thanks noexpert. I've started contacting outfitters now.

Thanks Karl for the idea of possibly flying only one way to (or from) Serengeti and other tips.

Thanks 4sandi, As you and others suggested, I plan to fly to DAR and onto JRO/ARK then to Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti.

I would like to fly from Serengeti to DAR and reach well in advance for my 4:45 PM flight to DXB. I can't seem to find Serengeti in the list of departure city in any of airline like Zan, precision etc, Does it show with different name?

Thank you so much.