We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 45
Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

Hi all,

Is it best to bring all the above with me when visiting Serengeti & Zanzibar? Or is it better to buy what the locals use?

The mosquitoes love me, and am stocking up on deet, but wondering am I better to get stuff when I get there?

And I've my immodium and dioralite (sp) to still get, but again wondering if there are better items available locally

Thanks

B

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
1. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

I would suggest that you bring it with you. How much time do you have to be looking for toiletries when you arrive in Arusha?

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 199
2. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

Buy it in Dublin. As well as Jungle formula I swear by "Mosiguard" in 'stick'form. It works on Scottish Midge so Mossies stand no chance. At night I just leave it open on the bed side table. BE aware that Tsetse ignore Deet or indeed home in on it. Sun block I cannot help with as I never use it.

To stomach matters. Be prepared, but most decent lodges have good food hygiene these days. but bear in mind the maxim 'Peel it, boil it or forget it.'

If you do get a bug take plenty of rehdryation salts. Avoid the temptation to swamp it with Immodium which is just a 'blocker', Let nature take its course and get rid of the bug in the usual fashion. Immodium only keeps it bottled up and should only be used when faced with a long trip such as a flight or other place where urgent access to a WC may be a problem.

Have a good trip.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
3. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

I'd emphasise the importance of bringing it with you.

I needed rehydration fliuds on a recent trip and relied on the kindness of (better-prepared) strangers. Nearest shops were about 100 miles away. They weigh next to nothing so should be essentials on your packing list.

Also recommend anti-histamine to limit the damage done by mossies and tsetse. Also stuff like calamine lotion/ germolene to soothe and prevent scratching of bites.

Isle of Man, United...
4. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

I will re-emphasise what Petersays about scratching bites. Don't!

Tsetse hurt like Hell for a few minutes. May swell up. It will go down in 24 hours. If you scratch it it will swell up badly and will still be with you when you go home. Do NOT wear blue spectrum clothing when in Tsetse areas. Wear light 'yellow' colours and a hat.

London, United...
5. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

Thanks everyone. I stocked up over the weekend, so am well prepared!

Only 10 days til I go...I am sooooo excited ;-)

Isle of Man, United...
6. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

Karibu sana, Safari njema.

London, United...
7. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

you got me there..I'm guessing it's something in local language?

Isle of Man, United...
8. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

"You are very welcome, Have a pleasant journey."

Much shorter in KiSwahili.

London, United...
9. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

Thanks!

10. Re: Sun screen / Mosquito repellant / Stomach remedies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:22 pm, October 11, 2009