We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving north from Durban - best Game Reserve advice please!

Which South Africa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
reviews: 55
Driving north from Durban - best Game Reserve advice please!

Hi all,

I am flying into Cape Town and spending a couple of days there before hiring a car and heading to Durban. I plan to do some diving out of Durban (protea banks, awali shoal) before heading north, stopping off at places of interest along the way. I want to visit a Game Reserve on the trip and need some help making the best choice. Ideally I don't want to go further north than the St. Lucia area (my time will be quite tight) and budget isn't a major concern, although the real Luxury lodges will probably out of my price range. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Olivia

2 replies to this topic
Northampton, United...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Driving north from Durban - best Game Reserve advice please!

Hello and the best self drive reserve is Hluhluwe-Imfolzi. There are choices of accommodation and the best in my opinion is the self catering chalets in the southern imfolozi section. The game viewing can be excellent with the added chance of sighting wild dogs & cheetahs. Its approx 45 mins from St Lucia to the Nyalazi gate. Otherwise just a little further north is the Zululand Rhino Reserve where you might get a deal and a very resonable rate for all inclusive at one of the pvt lodges. In the area make sure you self drive the Eastern shores to Cape Vidal and the newly opened Western shores.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Driving north from Durban - best Game Reserve advice please!

I was recently in this area in January '14 travelling the opposite direction from Kruger Park, Swaziland and Sodwana Bay (in fact that may be the better place to dive/snorkle). Travelled with two other people on a private, customized tour for three weeks. We used a tour company named Cruiselite just outside of Durban. Verry, very reasonable and the tour guide/owner was very knowlegeable on both history and wildlife. With only three of us, we were able to stop whenever something caught our eye, whether a restaurant, a photo op, a shop, etc. versus the larger tour groups. There is a lot to see in this area.

Reply to: Driving north from Durban - best Game Reserve advice please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted