We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satelite navigation

Which South Africa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southern Germany
reviews: 77
Satelite navigation

Hallo to all,

could I please get informations about the costs of a navi when buying in SA. We will rent a car

for 20 days - and the costs for renting a navi together with the car would be ZAR 79 a day

for example at Avis.

So one thought is to buy one instead - but of course it depends of the priece.

Thanks for you infos,

Q.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
1. Re: Satelite navigation

Hi

On our first self drive trip (three weeks) to SA we bought a GPS at home and took it with us because the cost of the rental for three weeks was the same as purchasing one at home. Of course on a shorter trip this may not be the case.

It turned out to be a bit of a waste anyway because we never used it, but that would obviously depend on where you are travelling. We found everything was very well signposted.

It also depends if you would use it on your return home.

So you have to weigh all this up, how much to buy against how much to rent, and will you use it again if you buy.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
2. Re: Satelite navigation

We bought a Tom Tom here so we could use it on our return. It had the Australian maps so we downloaded the SA map from TT at a cost of $48 (Aud) and took it with us to SA. We used it mostly for directions to our accommodations in towns and cities. However, we were doing a 21 day self drive trip covering a lot of miles last year, this year not so many miles, so we did not use it as much. I also had a SA road atlas glove box size which we always take with us. For that rental price you could probably buy one in Germany download SA map and keep it - just check out the Tom Tom website map purchase price to you. Also depends where you are visiting as Sandmans state the signage on SA roads is good.

Sydney
reviews: 17
3. Re: Satelite navigation

I always take my Tom Tom and whilst you can get away w/o having one I found it especially useful for assisting exiting OT airport to take a route to an address Vereeniging . It was getting dark and we had never been there before and I am sure if we had not had it we would have surely got lost. But as the OP's have said signage throughout SA is good but a Sat Nav device helps not just with route directions but other local information as well.

southern Germany
reviews: 77
4. Re: Satelite navigation

Thanks so very much to all of you. I did some research on that matter - finally we decided to do our trip

in the "old way" - just with a good map. But thanks again for taking your time to answer,

Q.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 4
5. Re: Satelite navigation

Quiltlover

Yes the KISS principal is often best. Keep it Simple. Have a good one

6. Re: Satelite navigation

If you have a smartphone or iPad there are plenty of apps that you can download that work just as well. We always use a road atlas and google maps when we get close to our destination.

Sydney
reviews: 17
7. Re: Satelite navigation

Needs a SA data/ cell sim card to access the apps which is np. All available Voda OT and all over SA. Cheap as chips.

8. Re: Satelite navigation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 27, 2014