We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovos train

Which South Africa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Rovos train

I haven't seen much recent postings re Rovos train. We are trying to fit in one of their shorter rides - either joBurg to Capetown or vice versa. On their website people seem very formally dressed. We are traveling with a 7 year old boy and were not looking for formal dress during our stay. We were hoping to travel as light as we could for the 2 weeks we would be there. So does anyone know. Do we have to dress up. We wouldn't dress like bums obviously but weren't thinking of suits to wear during a 2 night train ride. Then have to haul that around with us the rest of the 2 weeks when we wouldn't need all that.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
1. Re: Rovos train

http://www.eurosuit.co.za/stores ...perhaps you could hire from one branch and drop off at another

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
2. Re: Rovos train

Rovos says:

For days on the train dress is smart casual. Evening attire is more formal – for the gentlemen a jacket and tie is a minimum requirement while for ladies we suggest cocktail/evening dresses or suits.

By the way, the famous Blue Train has similar dress requirements:

Lunch is smart-casual, dinner is jacket and tie for the men and elegant wear for the ladies, while breakfast is casual.

Remember, these are the best trains in the world, and a certain standard is set.

The Rovos Rail experience is also a journey " back in time", to a more elegant and civilised era, when people "dressed for dinner".

Enjoy the trip.

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 40
3. Re: Rovos train

The train people should answer your question quickly and clearly if you send them an email. But the tone of the responses already in this thread tell you - I think - that you are expected to 'dress up'. It would be unusual and perhaps uncomfortable for you, if you don't.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Rovos train

Great idea re the suit hire! My cocktail dresses aren't so hard to pack but the menswear is so much more of a challenge. I think that suit hire idea might be a good balance. Thanks. I didn't want to drag all that stuff if it wasn't really required. Even some of the cruises encourage but don't require it unless you are going to certain of the restaurants. You are right though these trains do seem to be all about the experience. We don't necessarily need all the luxury but seems that for the most comfort on the rails for such a long trek this would be the way to go. Thanks again .

Sherry

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
5. Re: Rovos train

Rovos Rail is such an amazing experience, if you take the cape Town trip, the 2 days is worth dressing up, the food and wine is outstanding and the staff are exceptional. You will have a trip of a lifetime.

Lyn - owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

6. Re: Rovos train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 04, 2014