We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

Which South Africa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 186
Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

We intend driving from Addo Elephant Park to the Drakensberg-Shell Geostar says its quicker to go via Bleomfontein, although its 100km further than working up through the eastern cape...has anybody driven between these points and can advise? And will Bloemfontein be safe-I'm a ACT Brumbies supporter!!

Cape Town
reviews: 53
1. Re: Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

Hi. Nobody seems to be answering this one, so I will tell you what I know. I have been on the Eastern Cape route (From Port Elizabeth to Durban) many times and its a beutiful route through some very rural areas. I suppose the Bloem route is quieter and flat and straight and thats why its quicker, but I just like the scenery of the Transkei. The Eastern Cape/Transkei route is very hilly and windy and there are a few cows and goats to be dodged along the way!

Durban, South Africa
reviews: 6
2. Re: Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

Hi,

Either way is good but if I was going past the western side of Lesotho I would not go to Bloemfontein. I would hug the side of Lesotho so your route would be following the N6 via King Williams Town, Stutterheim, Queenstown, Jamestown, Aliwal North then on to the R26 to Rouxville, Zastron, Wepener, Hobhouse, Ladybrand, Clocolan, Fouriesburg, Clarens, Harrismith and down the eastern side of the Drakensberg following the N3 to Durban. That way you see some very pretty country not visited even by many South Africans.

But if its speed you want then do the Bloenfontein route.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 186
3. Re: Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

Thanks to both posters for the advice..Wessex what is the road like-are we talking tar or gravel? Is it something which should only be attempted in a 4 wheel drive? The alternate route you suggest sounds good-we might head up to Bloem and then across to Ladybrand to save some time

Durban, South Africa
reviews: 6
4. Re: Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

Tar all the way as I remember. Some may be a little potholed but mostly very good. Definitely sedan car roads.

Edenvale, South...
5. Re: Best Route Addo to Drakensberg

From Port Elizabeth take the N10 North to Colesberg, then the N1 to Bloemfontein. Next take the N5 (Winburg to Harrismith) and finally the N3 towards Durban and you are in the Drakensberg.

These are 'national' roads, the highest designation in South Africa. Colesberg to Bloemfontein you could average 140km/h (120 is the national limit) since this road is wide and with a full size emergency lane.

There is a culture on the roads that slower vehicles do pull over into the emergency lane to allow a faster vehilce to pass. Some truck drivers are not allowed to do this, but 75% of them do pull over.

Flash your hazards to say 'thank you'.