We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Which South Africa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Hello all,

I am looking to buy travel insurance to cover my trip to Cape Town and Zimbabwe in December.

There is so much out there namely, banks, supermarkets and insurance companies.

Surprisingly I have not yet had to ever buy travel insurance so I am a little lost who to purchase the policy from.

Any recommendations or advice about their own dealings with travel insurance.

Please note I want the usual baggage, lost/stolen money, medical expenses and cancellation costs to be reimbursed through the policy should I require it.

Thanking you in advance.

PS I am really excited about my trip!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
1. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Hi again Zara 18

It is very difficult to recommend an insurance outfit because you only find out how good they are when you have to make a claim. Based soley on my experience I can offer the following. Travel Agents usually charge an exhorbitant price and no matter how good/bad they may be I would not buy from them. The Internet/newspapers have a lot of companies offering low cost insurance. I'm sure many of them are good but I used one called Flexicover, I paid a low premium for several years and thought what a bargain I'd had - THEN we had a motoring accident in South Africa and my wife was hospitalised and our problems started! Believe me, after a car crash the last thing you want is problems with your travel insurance, there is no way I could recommend Flexicover. Somewhere in the middle price-wise are the Halifax. I had my house contents/personal belongings insured with them and had to make a claim for £1000+ for camera equipment - they were fantastic, one phone call (NO FORMS to fill) and my claim was sorted. Needless to say I now have my travel insurance with them, I would most certainly recommend them although they may not be the cheapest.

UK
2. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Hello Somersetal,

Hope you are well.

Thank you for replying - I can always rely on you to reply promptly!!

I shall have a look at the Halifax website.

Thanks

PS Hope your wife is better now!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
3. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Hi Zara18

Always happy to offer my opinion. We arrived back 2 weeks ago from this year's trip to SA.

Fantastic time, didn't crash any cars! My wife is fine now thanks. I'm certain you will enjoy Cape Town - we have relatives still in Zimbabwe and my son went out there in October. Times are difficult there at the moment but he still enjoyed his annual trip to Mana Pools on the Zambezi so I hope your experience there is good. Political situation aside, Zimbabwe is or was an amazing country and despite our love of SA our favourite experience is still being on Lake Kariba. Enjoy your trip - I guarantee the weather will be warmer than UK !!!

UK
4. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Thanks Somersetal.

I cant wait I am really excited. I am told the weather is really hot in both Cape Town and Zimbabwe at the moment, so as you say it will be nice to get away from the cold in UK. It is very cold today in London.

Out of interest, does your son obtain his visa on arrival at airport in Zimbabwe? i am was thinking of getting visa at Bulawayo airport.

Given the circumstances of Zimbabwe at the moment, did your son get his visa easily or any problems?

Thanking you in advance!!

London, United...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Pop down to your local Tesco - pick up an insurance packet - make sure it is whole world not just Europe - pay at the till - get your clubcard points and away you go. A company like Tesco is not going to use an insurance company that would do anything which would reflect badly on the Tesco name.

UK
6. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Number59,

Have you brought insurance from Tesco's yourself??

London, United...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Yes I certainly have - everything looks good on paper but as a previous poster said you only find out the real truth when you need to make a claim - unfortunately for you - fortunately for me I have never had to make a claim on them so can't really say what they are like if you do. but as I said in my previous post I can't believe that a company with a reputable name like Tesco would sell insurance if they were not very sure that their name would not be sullied by a dodgy insurance deal.

You can also buy it online and if you go here :-

tescofinance.com/personal/…index.jsp

you can also check what is covered before you buy.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
8. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Ref visa for Zimbabwe, my son says he got his at Harare airport. No problem in getting one but as far as harare airport is concerned he said he made sure he was one of the first off the plane as a very long queue quickly forms and that means a very long wait. Make sure you are in the queue at the visa desk not not one of the other desks by mistake otherwise you wait in that queue then get sent to the correct desk which by that time means another long queue. A further tip, he was asked for £45 fee, he said he had US dollars and they said $45 which is of course a lot less than £45 so may be worth getting some US dollars for that purpose. Obviously if you are flying into Bulawayo the procedure may be a bit different but not a problem in itself to get a visa. On local currency, unless they have very recently issued high denomination notes you need a shopping bag to carry it around, had a email yesterday from there and Paul said it was 20,000 Zim dollars for a loaf of bread

last time we were there highest denomination note was 200 Zim dollars. Best of luck

UK
9. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

Thank you for the replies.

I will defnitely check out Tescos this weekend.

Somersetal - I think I will call the Zimbabwe embassy in London and see how much it is in £ and US dollars, so I can work out before I go whether better to get US dollars.

Thanks again.

10. Re: Sorry another Q - Travel Insurance...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, May 25, 2009