We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Africa, should we go here?!

Which Seychelles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Going to Africa, should we go here?!

Hello all,

We are going to Africa next year, and I need to know if it's worth going here and making an effort to do these islands. I am not new to travel, but I have never heard much about the Seychelles. I would truly appreciate some help please in describing the destination, etc.

For reference, we went to Bora Bora 2 years ago. How does that compare?

Thank you and take care!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

Only you can decide if it's worth it and of course much depends on which country(s) you will visit in Africa. Personally it is for me and I found it an excellent place to wind down after a trip to kenya. As for comparing with Bora Bora. I'd say it matches up, but in a totally different way. BB is all about the lagoon, whereas the Seychelles are all about the beaches, granite boulders and lush interiors. BB has more hotels per square mile I imagine than the Seychelles and you won't find any over water bungalows. That's a plus for me as although beautiful I did think they rather dominate the landscape in BB. Set is a little more like Huahine, but the beaches are much better than any in Polynesia. If you enjoyed FP I'd think you'd have a good time in the Seychelles too. I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two. With sey winning really because it's 10 hours away as opposed to 22 to FP. If you don't think you'll be back to Africa it would be a shame to miss if you have the time and money to see a couple of islands.

London
reviews: 83
2. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

Hi Husker

Is it worth visiting the Seychelles, yes, but I should qualify that you need to give the place the time it deserves and you need to make sure you're in a country that you can get to Seychelles easily from as there are only direct flights from Kenya and South Africa.

But worth it? Completely.

Bora Bora is the only place that comes close in terms of that feeling of natural wonder, and if you've been to Bora Bora then Seychelles will feel like a bargain.

It all depends on how much time you have, but it is utterly stunning.

Regina...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

Absolutely is Seychelles definitly worth it! While I cannot speak much of ALL of the islands, I did stay on Mahe as well as La Digue. Unfortunately, only 4 days were shared between both islands and I found that it definitly was not enough, as the islands do require time to get to "know them". Every step, every bicycle ride and every cab ride is well worth it!

My favourite was La Digue-- a must see. It was a tropical paradise and it seemed so surreal to walk on the beaches and sit in the warm water. I long to go back there again (I was just there this November) and will hit it up in again in the near future! YOU MUST GO!

Please note that it is wise to put all important essentials in your carry-on bag (as long as they follow flight guidelines), as Air Seychelles only flies 3 times a week and if lugagge is lost along the way (like ours was), we were not able to retrieve it until after our trip (due to it being in-accessible on the smaller islands). We were shampoo-less, hairbrush-less, etc. It would have cost us too much $$ to replenish our lost items on the smaller island, such as La Digue, since everything gets shipped over on boat. ALSO, please note that not all places had cash registers where receipts could be issued--this can be a problem when replenishing lost luggage and wanting to claim if you have travellers insurance.

Any further questions about the islands, give me a shout!

Austin, Texas
4. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

How long a flight (in minutes) would it be from Africa then? Is Seychelles still considered in the Africa continent? If we were to do a 7 day safari in Tanzania, how would one fly to the Seychelles? Very confused on the logistics of this whole trip... I TOTALLY know going here would be worth it, but we would probably only spend between 1-2 nights... now would that be worth it?

Regina...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

It would be worth it, but you'll be wishing that you had longer...

From Johanessburg to Mahe, Seychelles is about 6hr (max) plane ride.

If you go to the Air Seychelles website: www.airseychelles.com/en/home/index.php

it will list the few places that you can fly to and from... unfortunately Tanzania is not one of the options. You would probably have to fly to Johanessburg from Tan. -- that might be alot of money thrown for such a short visit.

The subject of whether Seychelles is part of Africa confuses me too. We found that when flying from Jo'burg to Mahe, we had to go through customs as if we were going to another country...so this lead me to believe that Seychelles is not part of Africa. On Wikipedia it calls it an Island Country and makes no reference of it being a part of Africa...

Manchester, United...
6. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

From Tanzania it would be easier to go to Nairobi in Kenya and fly from there. It takes about 2.45 flying. If you are safaring around the Tanzanian northern parks of Serengeti, ngorongoro etc. Then it's quite common to fly in and out of Nairobi, although it is a fair drive which takes most of the day. We did this very journey before spending a well warned night of rest at a Nairobi hotel before flying to the Seychelles.

As for the islands being part of Africa. Africa is a continent, not a country in it's own right. So whenever you cross a boundry within the continent you are entering another country with associated immigration and customs requirements.

Manchester, United...
7. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

I meant to add, it would not be worth 2 nights. If you are in southern tanzania and flying in and out of Dar E Salaam. Then Zanzibar, mafia or Pemba islands or the coastal resort of ras kutani might be better. I haven't been yet, but I am hoping to go to southern Tanzania in 2012 and include a few days on the beach. I am currently leaning towards mafia island myself.

Norway
reviews: 22
8. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

I would absolutely not spend only 1 or 2 nights in the Seychelles. Why? Because you will regret it for a very long time that you didn't spend more time there :)

9. Re: Going to Africa, should we go here?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, July 10, 2011