We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

Which Tangier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

My husband and I will be vacationing in Costa del Sol for 2 weeks in June/July and want to visit Tangier for a day trip. I've read horrible things about many of the companies offering group tours, so we were considering just taking the ferry from Tarifa to Tangier and exploring on our own. Is this safe to do? Are there any areas we should stay away from if we are on our own? We basically just want to look around, shop, and eat lunch somewhere.

We watched the Anthony Bourdain CNN special on Tangier last week, and he made Tangier seem kind of seedy (too many drug references for me, but per my husband I tend to be naive and worry too much) and now I'm nervous and don't know what to do. Help!

1. Re: Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:00 am, October 29, 2013
Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

La chokran is pronounced like "la shookran", but say it with a smile. Assertive and determined doesn't mean being nasty, just firm.

JohnW is right in that you can navigate without a guide. But, having a young guy show you around, according to your own planned itinerary, is your protection from all the other touts, and may make for a more pleasant experience. Agree on a price before you engage his services.

It just depends on who you happen to meet, and don't be afraid for no good reason.

3. Re: Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:00 am, October 29, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 43
4. Re: Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

hi in addition to what John and David have already written I totally agree with the havng a guide book - having pre read will have you feeling and looking less unprepared and more assertive and firm in your stance will mean a lot when you nice and confidently say La Shukran - though I agree too with accepting any offers of guiding if you feel the person has a pleasant demeanour....its very expensive to go get a certificiate to officially take tourists around and if you don't look like you are having an unhappy time with someone taking you around often there is no problem for a local to do a faux guide session with you.

Local as in someone who does live there in the medina/city centre. particularly up in the Kasbah/fortress area.

though with a guide book that has a map it is perfectly easy enough to get around on your own and these are the okay places to go. if its not in the guide book away from the city centre then don't go. Up on the hill in the city centre and up on the Kasbah its interesting and good views over the harbour and strait of Gibraltar.

the Grand souk is worth a look too - check out how cheap the lovely roses are!

the church of England and its cemetery I thought was excellent - Michael Palin had visited it and the guy who took him around was there to talk to when I went

Or you could catch a petit taxi to the grande taxi station and catch a taxi 45 minutes to Asilah - that's a really lovely place to spend the day or half a day. and easy to do in addition to visitng Tangier.

5. Re: Safe to visit Tangier for a day without a guide or group?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 22, 2014