We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan

Which Rabat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 11
Ramadan

Hi friends!

Would you let me know what are the difficulties, in terms of tourism, that Ramadan provokes.

When during the day is impossible to eat in a restaurant?

I am going mostly norther than Fes.

Thanks in advance!

Joao

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
11. Re: Ramadan

+1 for Shimm. The search box is there for a reason, not just for fun. All you had to say was that you looked but didn't get the reply you needed....just polite my friend.

If search boxes weren’t available and I wanted to help you out, then I would just copy and paste my previous reply anyway.

As for info being current, just look at the date it was published and then make an informed decision.

Now you've put me off giving any advice....sorry.

Edited: 8:50 am, July 24, 2012
Washington, D.C.
reviews: 16
12. Re: Ramadan

I'll be in Fes during Ramadan. I'm a new Muslim and am so looking forward to participating in Ramadan in a Muslim-majority nation. I wake up at 3:30 am to eat and pray and guzzle LOTS of water, then try unsuccessfully to sleep before going to work, then work 8 hours and go to law school at night and try to maintain a social life. Some days I'm just so weak, especially in Washington, DC's infamous heat&humidity spells. I was told by my Dars to expect the housekeeper to not serve me breakfast until around 10 am because they will sleep after their last meal around 4:30 am. Since I'm fasting, too, I've arranged for my desired breakfast to be prepared the night before and kept in the fridge. That way I can serve myself. Any of you reading this who are not fasting should feel free to have the cook in a Riad or Dar to leave food available for you so that you can eat breakfast and lunch at your leisure. Bon voyage to all!

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
13. Re: Ramadan

Anika - congratulations on doing your first Ramadan fast!

I have learnt to eat and drink repeatedly from sunset to sunrise whilst fasting during the day. And as well as drinking lots of water also drink lots of fruit juice mixes, as it will help to sustain you during the day.

And follow the Moroccan example and buy a plastic spray bottle, fill it with cold water, and spray yourself to keep cooler!

Taroudannt...
14. Re: Ramadan

Heresmyreply, I remember last Ramadan when it was hotter than now, some people were walking around with spray bottles of cold water spraying other people. Delightful!

Today is day 21 of Ramadan and the weather in Taroudant is only now starting to warm up.

Only 29C right now at 4pm. Nights continue to be coolish.

After eating Iftar, my mind starts planning what to prepare for Suhoor, what I need to buy, especially if I have a guest. I don't feel I have suffered at all this year and even stumbling around at 3:30am is not so bad. I know I will be sorry when Ramadan is over for another year.

London, United...
15. Re: Ramadan

I was in Marrakech at the start of Ramadan and the staff in my riad served the guests breakfast at any time, it's their job, and they said they were happy to work as normal. So no need to wait till 10am for your breakfast, I wouldn't have thought :-)

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
16. Re: Ramadan

Agreed. Dars, Beids and Riads will serve breakfasts (to non-Muslim guests) at any normal time. And I'm confused Anika H - if you are observing the Ramadan fast why would you want breakfasts and lunches pre-prepared?

" I've arranged for my desired breakfast to be prepared the night before and kept in the fridge. That way I can serve myself. Any of you reading this who are not fasting should feel free to have the cook in a Riad or Dar to leave food available for you so that you can eat breakfast and lunch at your leisure."

This doesn't sound like fasting to me! Or have I missed something?

Paris, France
reviews: 68
17. Re: Ramadan

yes, I am here during Ramadan now, and the biggest annoyance is the many closed restaurants.

the sun sets around 730pm and that's when people eat again, however my hotel guy told me that the restaurants still wont open again til around 10pm.

So you have to eat whenever you get the chance and as another poster suggested, stock up on things you can take home and snack on later.

depending on where you are staying, not all food places are easily accessible. you have to walk through winding, confusing, streets to get to a restaurant. so just eat if u cross an open restaurant rather than waiting til u get hungry and having to go find a place that's open.

also it is true, during mid-day, some shops do close, but many remain open

all the best

Edited: 3:47 am, August 02, 2013
18. Re: Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:54 am, October 28, 2013
Taroudannt...
19. Re: Ramadan

• Pilo •, read Anika's comment @12 again. She wants the staff to prepare her food the night before, and leave it in the frig so she can go and get it in the wee morning hours, in time for

Suhoor (3:30 -4:00).

Taroudannt...
20. Re: Ramadan

What the hell is "ftour"? It's IFTAR, breaking of the fast.