We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current reception for Brits.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.K
reviews: 4
current reception for Brits.

Hi,

This may be a naive question but does anyone know the current reception Brits are getting in Morocco. We're planning a trip and want to check travelling there will be ok.

Paris
1. Re: current reception for Brits.

Hi. I was just in Morocco myself and I received a very warm welcome. I am American and was travelling with British friends. Everywhere we went, locals wanted to spend time talking to us and we felt very at ease and secure. I definately recommend going there!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
2. Re: current reception for Brits.

Hi, I have just been on my 2nd trip to Morocco in 4 months, the first to Agadir (recommended) and just recently to Tangier (hated it) and Marrakech (hard work).

The locals are generally friendly even with language differences.

I like to haggle fiercely, I usually buy the smart little wooden boxes but they try to charge about 400 Dirhams (26 GBP!) but they are only worth 35 D (thats what they sell for in the fixed price shops) and that's what they jolly well get.

Please don't be affraid to haggle, I do and because I set a price and don't budge it does upset them, but we both end up with what we want and at worse they mutter some obscenity in Arabic which I won't repeat.

Current exchange rate is about 15.5 D to the pound, DO NOT buy on the black market if it is offered as you may get less and even counterfeit.

Cash machines work for Maestro cards, take out about 1000 or 2000 D, which is about 66 and 130 pounds. Banks and hotels all give the same government set exchange rate so you will not be cheated.

Any questions? ask me at jklejna@aol.com

UK
reviews: 2
3. Re: current reception for Brits.

Hi

I've always had a good reception from Moroccans when visiting. The first time I went (after 9/11) it was explained that the people just outside Marrakech view the British very favourably because they were the first to send aid to flooded areas.

My next trip (in May 05) will be as a single mum, and I have no qualms about travelling alone in Morocco. I use any commonsense cautions that I would at home, and try not to flaunt Western wealth and Western dress in a more conservative country. Be open and honest, and talk to everyone, even if you don't understand each other's languages.

Hope you have a great trip.

4. Re: current reception for Brits.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:56 am, August 10, 2005