We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire, england
reviews: 1
Restaurants

Hi my husband and I are going to Marrakech in December, staying at Jardins de la Koutoubia. Need advice on restaurants couple of good ones and some cheapish but good cafe/restaurants within medina, would consider outside medina but prefer inside.

Has anyone been to 'Jana Restaurant' (this is situated within Pacha nightclub complex) ? If anybody knows it have they eaten there, what is food, atmosphere, service and prices like. Has anyone been to Pacha nightclub again what is this like, what are clientele like and what are prices like for drinks?

Also been looking at Le Comptoir Restaurant. How does this compare to Jana(above).

We would consider eating at the stalls of D'jeema El Fna if anyone can reccommend which stall numbers are good.

Please help as we go in 3 weeks, we would like as many opinions as possible.

Thanks.

Lisa and David.

UK
reviews: 12
1. Re: Restaurants

Hi, have just returned from a 5 day stay and had a fab time. We were on business so got taken out alot by our business associates who were from Casablanca. We had one meal at Le Comptoir, the food was great and the atmosphere was buzzing especially when the belly dancers performed! Our associates paid but did comment that it was very expensive (which was unlike them to make such a comment so must have been steep). Upstairs seemed to be full of prostitutes though from what I could tell when I went to the loos. Restaurant Hamra within the medina was excellent. Two set meals approx 250 dirhams each if I remember rightly, plus drinks (alcohol is served here). Olives and nuts with your aperitif then a selection of entrees followed by couscous with vegetables and meat then dessert of creme brulee or fruit followed by mint tea. It is in a beautiful building with fantastic ceilings. There were two different lots of musicians playing and then the belly dancers. We had a great evening there. Hope this helps you, have a great trip.

Corsica, France
reviews: 24
2. Re: Restaurants

Have heard good things about the food in Le Comptoir although many of my friends have commented that there were a fair few prostitutes in there.

The stalls are ok for eating but go as they set up when the food is fresh and not been standing.

Cafe Argana, on the square is popular for lunch and has a good choice - salads, tajines and couscous - all reasonably priced.

If you go for a meal at Marrakchi make sure you book, but service can be a bit erratic.

For a posh Riad dinner in the medina Dar Marjana is v v nice.

On the road to Pacha is a restaurant called Bo Zin which is very chic (staff in designer clothes) and has a really mellow romantic atmosphere. We had meat couscous, seafood brochettes, and there is oriental food too and we all loved the meals and the atmosphere. It may not be as moroccan as some restaurants but is nice for a romantic evening...

I have still to get to Pacha, please let me know what its like if you go.

have a great trip!

london
reviews: 28
3. Re: Restaurants

here's an excellent list of restaurants

footprintguides.com/Marrakech/Restaurants-Ea…

lancashire, england
4. Re: Restaurants

Thanks for the responses so far.

Also if anyone knows anything about Safron & Canelle this would be helpful.

Still waiting to find out about Jana Restaurant and Pacha nightclub.

Keep your responses coming in and any other info that we may find useful.

Cheers.

P.S. If anyone wants me to try and checkout anything in specific I will try to while I'm there. Just let me know before 13th December.

Cheshire, England
reviews: 11
5. Re: Restaurants

We're going on 27th December for a week so would be interested in any suggestions/recommendations you have (we're having 3 days in Ouazazate then 4 nights in Marrakech.

Thanks

Chris

Cheshire, England
6. Re: Restaurants

We're going on 27th December for a week so would be interested in any suggestions/recommendations you have (we're having 3 days in Ouazazate then 4 nights in Marrakech.

Thanks

Chris

Cheshire, England
7. Re: Restaurants

Thanks

Chris

lancashire, england
8. Re: Restaurants

Hi,

I'll do a write up of my experiences for you when I get back.

Anyone else who has any more recomendations for me before I travel these will be most welcome.

Thanks.

Beds
9. Re: Restaurants

Hi Guys, We have just booked for next Feb. We are staying at the Kenzi Farah hotel. Please can you get some prices from the le comptoir. The website looks amazing -

http://www.comptoirdarna.com/high1.html Also we have heard that the horse and carriage rides are not to be missed.

London
reviews: 18
10. Re: Restaurants

We ate in Le Comptoir in mid-November. Great show - musicians early on then the belly dancers (check out the matron with the flaming teapot on her head!). Best meal we had in Marrakech and the local wine was excellent.

We haven't had our credit card bill in yet, but my husband reckons it was about £100 for two. We didn't hang around upstairs, so can't comment on the nature of the clientele, but it was certainly very buzzy up there - much more of a bar/club scene than downstairs, which was a comparatively formal restaurant.

We also ate in D'jeema El Fna - to be fair most of the stalls offer something fairly similar and the prices are comparative. They are all regulated so have printed menus and price lists. The sales patter has to be heard to be believed, but once you have heard the same lines a dozen times they wear a little thin ; "Free Air-Conditioning", "just like Jamie Oliver", "cheaper than Iceland", "cheap as chips" - they have all the patter!! Incredibly good value - but obviously not licenced. You need to go to a restaurant, rather than a cafe, round the square to have a drink.

You should do the horse & carriage ride, but agree the price before you set off and don't fool for changes of the arrangements en route or the very poorly executed note switch when we paid the driver.

Everyone has a scam and I guess if it only works 1 in 20 times then they think it's worth trying. Personally, I found the constant negotiations and hassling very hard work, so make sure you build in time to chill out, away from the traders for at least some of your day or you could end up exhausted. Nothing is easy....although that's not to say that it isn't fascinating.

Enjoy your trip