We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eid el-Adha

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Eid el-Adha

I had been thinking of going to Morocco between Dec 22 and Jan 2 however, this year's Eid el-Adha celebration is during Dec 30 to Jan 1. It is my understanding that businesses close and public transportation is beyond chaotic and should be avoided... Any knowledge on this???

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Eid el-Adha

Usually on the dya of the Aid everything is quiet in the morning.Shops are closed as well as restaurants. i'd recommedn sticking to your hotel and eating there. In Th afternoon cafes open and people just loaf around. Things get back more or less to normal the next day

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Eid el-Adha

Dont plan on doing anything over Eid. Everything will be closed and the steets deserted for the better part of the day. Sit back, read a good book, eat in the hotel til the evening comes....some things might open up then, but by no means all. This is the "Christmas Day" of the Msulim world.

If you're lucky, someone may invite you to their home for eid. Its an experience for the more intrepid traveller!

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
3. Re: Eid el-Adha

Thanks for your replies...

I am concerned about not being able to purchase train tix to our destinations; it is my understanding that much travel happens during the days inmediately preceding and following the holiday. My tentaive itinerary was arrive in Casa on 12/23 and plan to buy train tix for 12/24 or 12/25 to maybe Fes. Then back to Casa or Rabat on maybe 12/27 or 12/28 and following day on to Marrakesh... Ideally i would fly back to USA from Marrakesh BUT since I cannot buy train tix until 6 days ahead of time I am worried that I will get "stuck" in some location and not be able to get to my desired destination...

A post on http://www.triotours.com/faq/ma/christmas.htm warns about travel trouble between Dec 24 and Jan 6

4. Re: Eid el-Adha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 26, 2009