We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 17
Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

I have searched the top right hand box(es), but would still appreciate from seasoned travellers to Marrakech, which is the best detailed guide book to purchase for our trip.

Thanks

Mak

10 replies to this topic
Worcester, United...
reviews: 79
1. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

I purchased Insight Guides Marrakesh after seeing a recommendation on this forum.

It details the city's best walks and tours, with tailor-made itineraries written by local experts.

It has a detailed pull out map, and looking through it I have got a lot of ideas for our first visit to Marrakesh in October.

Loads of information and the walks look easy to follow with hints and tips on what to see and do on route.

Aberdeen, United...
2. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Thanks for that Jan53England.

I nipped down to our local 'Smith's' today & bought the Lonely Planet Marrakech - the one that concentrates just on the city it's self, but will definitely get the Insight Guide as plan to use our feet as much as possible & have always found suggested detailed walks a great way to see the sights so thanks again for your suggestion. Apparently there is a hop on hop off bus (find these brilliant too) which I plan on booking before we go (if I can) - will do that first (sometimes I don't even get off - just stay on until I get a rough idea of my bearings & of what is where) & then put on the walking shoes.

Mak

Aberdeen, United...
3. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Thanks for that Jan53England.

I nipped down to our local 'Smith's' today & bought the Lonely Planet Marrakech - the one that concentrates just on the city it's self, but will definitely get the Insight Guide as plan to use our feet as much as possible & have always found suggested detailed walks a great way to see the sights so thanks again for your suggestion. Apparently there is a hop on hop off bus (find these brilliant too) which I plan on booking before we go (if I can) - will do that first (sometimes I don't even get off - just stay on until I get a rough idea of my bearings & of what is where) & then put on the walking shoes.

Mak

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
4. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Hi,

You can't book the hop on hop off bus before you arrive but they are very frequent and you can buy a 24 or 48 hour ticket from many points around the city. Many people do like it though you have to be aware that it cannot access much of the medina as the roads are too small so tours tend to be around the new city. They offer a Palmeraie tour which is a good way to see that area of Marrakech.

Aberdeen, United...
5. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Thank you shimmin2robertson.

Very helpful!

Mak

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
6. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

dont bother with the HOHO bus, it is a waste of money in Marrakech as you cant actually get anywhere near the interesting places by bus!

reviews here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293734-…

Edited: 8:37 pm, August 21, 2014
Worcester, United...
reviews: 79
7. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Glad to help, ordered it online £8.99.

Aberdeen, United...
8. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Nabrika & Jane

Thanks again.

Mak

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
9. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

The one I would recommend is specifically for Marrakech and is small enough to always carry with you.

amazon.co.uk/Marrakesh-Encounter-Lonely-Plan…

If you have a smartphone (Apple/Android) you could download the TripAdvisor Offline City Guide (download before you leave home) which includes map and suggested itineraries that you can follow without needing to have a data signal, see http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/apps-icityguides

Edited: 10:21 am, August 22, 2014
Aberdeen, United...
10. Re: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?

Great idea. Thanks.

Mak

Reply to: Best Marrakech Guide Book please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted