We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying deposits for tours

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, Auckland...
reviews: 5
Paying deposits for tours

Hello,

I have found a tour company that comes highly rated and looks good. They have asked me to pay the deposit via Western Union. Is this standard practice? How safe is it? I'm worried that I'll pay the deposit and he won't show up.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Luton
reviews: 6
1. Re: Paying deposits for tours

It's perfectly normal for tour companies to request payment of a deposit in order for clients to secure a booking and this is perfectly reasonable. After all, trust must work both ways: how does the company otherwise know that you are going to turn up?

It is less usual for tour companies to ask for payment through Western Union. You may need to take care here. Although I have never used Western Union I came close to doing so on one occasion and was surprised by how high the fees were. I have heard reports of money going missing but I might be guilty of repeating gossip here. Whatever, it would be more regular to pay your deposit into the company's bank account. You might ask if this is possible.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
2. Re: Paying deposits for tours

Agree with Alan. Ask your tour company if you can pay via PayPal where are not big fees like in Western Union.

Marrakech, Marruecos
3. Re: Paying deposits for tours

I Agree with Khamlia but it's Beter to ask them About the License Government Operation and Bank Details of them Company to pay them the Diposit of the Tours by Pay pal.

Best Regardes

MD
4. Re: Paying deposits for tours

I recently book a tour and the company specifically asked not to use WU because of the risk of fraud and the money going missing. instead they provided all the bank information to make wire transfer form my bank to theirs. I have yet to go on the tour (Marrakech - Merzouga) so I can't confirm the legitimacy of the transaction. However, I can understand the request for deposit to ensure their business and not fall victim of overly enthusiastic tourists that in the end do not follow though with their reservations.

good luck!

Auckland, Auckland...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Paying deposits for tours

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully they will let me pay with PayPal.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
6. Re: Paying deposits for tours

Credit cards and Paypal is often difficult for small Moroccan companies due to local currency restrictions, so it is not unusual for deposit requests to be via Western Union. Most of the companies asking this will be legitimate but you do take a bit of a risk as WU does not offer any protection like you get with credit card or paypal.

Bank transfer is also often possible, but it can take 7 to 10 days for money to arrive in Morocco from abroad whereas WU is instant.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 14
7. Re: Paying deposits for tours

If they don't do Paypal, I would ask for their bank details to do a wire transfer, even though it can take longer for the money to get there and may be more expensive than WU. I did a bank transfer to book a Marrakech to Merzouga tour recently because I did not trust WU. The money arrived in about a week. When I got to Marrakech, the driver from the tour was there promptly at 8 to pick me up and I had no issues.

Reply to: Paying deposits for tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted