We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosque visits

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 13
Mosque visits

There are a few people in our tour group who are Muslim and I see that Morocco doesn't allow non-Muslims entry into mosque. This is confusing. How is a Muslim distinguished from non-Muslim at entry?

7 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: Mosque visits

It is a good question and no clear answer really, to be honest it is probably just based on racial stereotypes - also if you look like a tourist who just wants to visit rather than pray then even as a Muslim they might stop you.

BTW Non-Muslims are allowed in the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca but not any in Marrakech.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
2. Re: Mosque visits

Hi,

Muslims say a specific prayer in Arabic on entering a mosque, non-Muslims are unlikely to know this.

Edited: 6:24 am, August 08, 2014
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Mosque visits

Respect the culture, the last thing you want is to be in the mosque, then be asked a question which you do not know the answer to, it will cause embarrassment for all those involved (including the caretaker of the Mosque). In my personal opinion, a mosque is a place of prayer and not a tourist site.

Luton
reviews: 6
4. Re: Mosque visits

Non-Muslims are permitted to enter the Tin Mal mosque (upon payment of the entry fee to the guardian!) and, I understand, the Great Mosque at Smara in the Western Sahara (along with the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca). As nibrika says, non-Muslims are not allowed in any mosques in Marrakech, nor indeed marabouts or even Muslim cemeteries.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
5. Re: Mosque visits

The drive to the Tin Mal Mosque is amazing (it makes for a lovely day trip), it is like visiting old ruins as it is no longer used as a Mosque.

My avatar is a photo of Tin Mal Mosque, the architecture/design of the Koutoubia Mosque is based around the Tin Mal Mosque.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
6. Re: Mosque visits

It was General Hubert Lyautey, the first governor of the French protectorate, who made the rule that only Muslims could enter mosques. He also was responsible for the idea of building new towns alongside the medinas rather than try to modernise the medinas. Were it not for him, Fez (and other cities) would be a very difference place.

TinMal is still in use as a mosque. At one time the mosque was surrounded by a small city but the pisé buildings have sunk back into the earth many hundreds of years ago. Some pics: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
7. Re: Mosque visits

Although some people do still go to pray there, TinMal is not actually a working mosque anymore (i.e. there are no regular services, call to prayer etc) - which is why anyone can visit.

Reply to: Mosque visits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted