We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling during Ramadan

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Balmain, Australia
reviews: 28
Travelling during Ramadan

I've just realised my rescheduled trip to Marrakech and the High Atlas Mountains falls squarely during Ramadan. I have read that things really slow down/close down during the day and was wondering if anyone has any advice on the level of daily activity in Marrackech as well as furhter out in the Atlas Mountains. I'm really keen to take in the atmosphere of the Souks, do some haggling in the markets and generally absorb daily life as well as visit villages and souks in the Atlas Mountains. Should I go later?

New York City, New...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Travelling during Ramadan

I understand Ramadan this year begins on 9/24 and goes to 10/22. I am visiting right before this time though and have never been to Morocco. My impression is that many restaurants are closed during this month, that Muslims don't eat or drink much (fasting is necessary), and the 'call to prayer' is followed more closely during the day (it happens 5x/day...).

Fez, Morocco
2. Re: Travelling during Ramadan

I think Ramadan's a fine time to visit Morocco. Many restaurants, the ones that tourists go to, will be open during the day, so getting lunch is no problem. And the souks will be open as usual. People are busy buying food to make the evening meals, and the shops that rely on tourism are certainly open. The evenings in Ramadan are wonderful...very lively.

Balmain, Australia
reviews: 28
3. Re: Travelling during Ramadan

Thanks very much for your feedback - wasn't too sure if once out of Marrakech if if would be more difficult to eat during the day!

Nottingham
reviews: 19
4. Re: Travelling during Ramadan

Hi

My first trip to morocco (late 2005) fell during Ramadam. We had no problems with getting food or drinks during daylight., thoguh we did refrain from eating in public, more out of respect than any fear of annoying anyone

All cafes were open in the major cities (further out may be an issue, where tourists are not common) but you can always stock up beforehand.

I dont think there is any need to rearrange your visit

Enjoy

5. Re: Travelling during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 18, 2009