We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Working online from Marrakech Medina area

I'm planning a trip to Marrakech and staying in the Medina area.

I have talked to two Riads one has said 4 Mbits/s the other 5 Mbits/s download speed.

Is this the average speed in this area. Anyone worked with this and how was it.

I'm hearing 0.70 Mbits/s upstream, is this average or there is better.

Here is what I need for to conduct my work. I need to be able to upload code I complete along with some small images. The other and most important one is to do skype/ jabber video conference calls.

Anyone have any fall back alternatives if I can't find faster internet speeds. Anyone tried using mi-fi connecting to phone service. Which leads to my next question. Best places to find data plans for your Iphone. Is phone service ok in Medina area.

I really appreciate everyones comments on this. I'm not talking about simple tourist browsing ever few hours I'm talking about been able to conduct work using the internet.

I really hope so as I have wanted to do this trip for a long time now.

Thanks to all in advance.

Eric

10 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
1. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Higher speeds are available in Marrakech but it just depends if the riad you choose decides to pay for it - I suppose not many will actually advertise what speed they pay for. You should be able to do most things even with 4meg though, skype video might be hit and miss at peak times but audio will work

There are also many internet cafes and free wifi is available at most restaurants/cafes/bars nowadays - again speeds will vary from place to place

You can get a local SIM card or dongle in the airport for mobile data - dont expect to be able to skype video over data connection though, even audio is hit and miss

Edited: 8:56 pm, July 22, 2014
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
2. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

As nibrika says, peak times will be busy and these tend to be the evening. Early morning will be much faster.

The rise of free wifi (pronounced wee'fee) at cafes is hitting the Internet cafes, but you can still find these and they are called Cybers (pronounced see'bear).

Is your iPhone locked to your current service provider? If so you won't be able to buy a local SIM for a data plan. If you have a MacBook or Windoze PC you can get an external dongle for data from Maroc Telecom shops which costs something like 250dh for a month.

Paris
3. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Most of the riads have wifi, some of them have good wifi in the living area maybe not in the rooms

Brooklyn, New York
4. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Thanks all, Glad to know more internet cafe's are opening. In my case I will be working from where I end up staying with my laptop. By the sounds of it you all have had success with skype video calls using 5Mbits but not during peek times. Is that what I'm hearing. Totally makes sense for the speed to drastically drop during peek times.

My phone is not locked so yes I will be purchasing a local sim card. I would only use the data in times when the internet speed drops badly. Or does phone service drop badly at those hours too.

So Maroc Telecom is the local main provider right.

Would I get faster speed for internet outside the Medina area or it's all the same average 4-8Mbits speeds in Marrakech?

Thanks to all for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
5. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

>Glad to know more internet cafes are opening

No, Internet cafes tend to be closing, not opening, as people get their own devices and can access free wifi

>By the sounds of it you all have had success with skype video calls... Is that what I'm hearing?

Didn't see anyone comment on that. I don't use Skype.

Maroc Telecom and Inwi are the main providers. Like European providers they tend not to release performance details of their networks.

Brooklyn, New York
6. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Thanks Tim. Sorry I miss read your statement about the internet cafes which makes sense.

nibrika commented on skype calls. But would love to know if anyone has done skype or Jabber calls during peek times successfully on 5 Megabits downstream.

Thanks for the provider info.

Cornwall
reviews: 3
7. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Hi,

I have used both Skype and FaceTime from both a MacBook and an iphone through wifi in the Medina area without any issues. During the week day and of an evening. They were short calls but were fine. Hope this helps.

Brooklyn, New York
8. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Thanks FalDiver do you know what your download speed was when you were making those video skype calls?

Cornwall
reviews: 3
9. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

I have no idea I am afraid.

I used a couple of cafés wifi in the area and it was fine. I also used the same wifi connections for uploading raw image files to online storage..... Basically not as quick as connections I am used to, but still perfectly functional. Skype was fine however.

Marrakech, Morocco
10. Re: Working online from Marrakech Medina area

Do remember that you will be sharing the declared bandwidth with other guests and staff, who may be watching youtube videos and other bandwidth hogging activities.

Reply to: Working online from Marrakech Medina area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted