We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan in Marrakesh

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Ramadan in Marrakesh

Hi I am travelling to Marrakesh on 29 September for 3 nights - is this when Ramadan is ?...How will it affect our trip i.e restaurants/bars being closed?

Any information will be helpful - thanks

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
reviews: 6
1. Re: Ramadan in Marrakesh

You will be there in full Ramadan mode but in a touristy place such as Marrakesh you'll find the places catering almost exclusively to tourists will be open...you'll notice some slowing down in the day but it will actually be a very lively time to be eating at one of the outdoor stalls on the Djemaa in the evening. I would only suggest that you do not eat, drink, or smoke out in the street or in public view out of respect for those that are fasting, in fact, trying to fast from sunup to sundown is a great exercise in self-discipline and will endear you to the locals when they find out you're giving it a go. I've been invited to many a Ramadan "breakfast'" by welcoming Moroccans who appreciate foreigners wanting to understand their culture better.

London
2. Re: Ramadan in Marrakesh

Thanks for the info ...

We are a group of 9 ladies on my birthday trip - always wanted to visit but getting a bit concerned about replies saying that is a bit unsafe for groups of women.

Would it be best to split into smaller groups in the day ..?

3. Re: Ramadan in Marrakesh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 13, 2009