We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Changing money in Marrakech

I'll be in Marrakech over the week-end in September and wondered if this will be a problem when changing money.

I've heard that you can't take Moroccan currency into the country and that travellers cheques are a hassle to cash.

As banks will be closed does anyone know if many Bureau de Change are available?

I have a Visa card which I can use in shops but am a bit nervous about ATM machines over the week-end in the card gets swallowed up!!

1. Re: Changing money in Marrakech

You can change money at most hotels. ATM's in Morocco are quite reliable, I've never seen my card disappear in one :-)

London
2. Re: Changing money in Marrakech

Hi

Thanks. That's good to know!!

UK
3. Re: Changing money in Marrakech

Main banks should be open over the weekend, Remeber Friday is the Muslim Sunday :)

Cash Points are very reliable and thats all I ever use now. Providing you remeber that you home bank may charge a fee and take out larger than normal amounts so you pay less fees it works very well.

4. Re: Changing money in Marrakech

Markxr: Although Morocco is an islamic country, it uses the "western" weekend. Banks are closed on Saturday and Sunday, as are schools and government offices.

Most are open Monday to Thursday from 8.30 AM until 12.30 PM and from 2 PM until 6.30 PM.

On Fridays, banks are open from 8.30 AM until 12.30 PM and from 3 PM until 6.30 PM.

5. Re: Changing money in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 16, 2009