We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips from Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South East UK
reviews: 1
Trips from Marrakech

Hi

firstly I would like to say thanks to eveyone for their helpful contributions to the forums, they have really helped us to plan our trip.

We are going to Morocco for two weeks in mid-October, using Marrakech as our base and we wanted to know what you would recommend as trips from there.

Our current intinerary:

3 nights - Marrakech

3 nights - Ait Benhaddou (can you suggest something better?)

2 nights - Marrakech

1 night - Cascades Ouzoud

4 nights - Essaouira

We're looking to have a pretty laid-back holiday, with enough time to soak up the atmosphere and sights.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks!

1. Re: Trips from Marrakech

Looks like a nice, relaxed plan. Except three nights in Ait Ben Haddou is really a lot. You'll be bored, I think.

Spend one night in Ait Ben Haddou, then either of the following.

"Plan A"

Rent a 4x4 (or arrange for a 4x4 with driver through your hotel in Ait Ben Haddou) and drive to Telouet (7 hrs) over the piste (track), through stunning landscapes and little-visited villages. Visit the ksar (castle) and spend the night in the town. Return to Marrakech the next day. There's a good road from Telouet to Marrakech.

"Plan B"

Drive (or charter a shared taxi) from Ait Ben Haddou to Ouarzazate and on to Boumalne du Dades. Arrange for transport into the gorge du Dades, and spend one or two nights there before returning to Marrakech.

Marrakech
2. Re: Trips from Marrakech

Hi,

3 nights Ait Ben Haddou doesn't sound good to me, you might get bored there. So , what i would recommend is to have a night there, may be with a Telouat 4*4 excursion as dysfunctionl suggested, an other night at Kabah Asma in Skoura Oasis( very charming hotel); and the last night in Ouarzazate.

Morocco
3. Re: Trips from Marrakech

I would suggest this-

drive from Marrakech to Telout as already mentioned. Last I heard was that the road from Telout straight on to Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou was in bad shape after the rains in May, 2006.

Still have time to go visit that old ruins and return to main road towards Ben Haddau- opening hours vary and it may be closed soon due to deteriation. Fantastic place as this 20th century Gloui Kasbah has some rooms inside that are in perfect shape. The wallpaper and plaster of paris etching look good.

*Stay 1 night at Ben Haddou (about 18km before Ouarzazate)

Next day, visit Todra Gorge- nice place for lunch and travel on to Merzouga- the Erg Chebbie sand dunes. These are the largest ones in Morocco.

*Stay at one of many little hotels along the dunes.

This is the best time to visit the desert- so stay one day here and visit the local villages. If it is market day, go to Rissani where many nomads come to shop

*That night, go on an overnight camel trip into the sand dunes and sleep under the stars after a campfire dinner.

Returning to Marrakech requires an overnight stay.(unless you return by bus)

* Ouarzazte or Skoura are possibilities and pass through the high Atlas Mtns in the opposite direction. A couple of nice little ryads here in addition to a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels.

4 nights: Day 5 - back in Marrakech . You do not need 2 nights here again.

Cascades Ouzoud- when I was there, I did not see any accomodations. I am sure others will make a comment .

Most folks arrange driver/guide for trip to the desert and Todra Gorge.

South East UK
4. Re: Trips from Marrakech

Thank you all very, very much for your help!

I will discuss with my wife and let you know what we decide to do.

Thanks again!