We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco budget help

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai
reviews: 16
Morocco budget help

I am planning to travel for 2 weeks in July with my husband and 14 year old son. I am trying to work out a budget. We are planning to fly to Marrakech and spend a couple of nights there before going on a tour for 3 nights to Dunes/desert. We then plan to return to Marrakech before heading to Essaouria to have 6-7 days at the coast.

We have a budget of about 1500 GBP for the 3 of us. (not including flights or food). Does this sound sufficient to stay in comfortable Riads and include the tour? Are there any ways of reducing this budget without compromising too much? For example is it better to book tours and travel once in country?

5 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Morocco budget help

£1500 is probably going to be just about enough. Take 4 days for the Desert trip, expect to pay a total of around £750-£800 for this tour.

This leaves you £700-£750 for the accommodation and travel, use the coach to get to Essaouira and back (the return trip should cost around £50 for the three of you).

I personally book my tours before leaving the UK, but this is personal preference, I like to compare companies and look at their reviews before booking. When you are in Marrakech, things can get a bit overwhelming and you may end up choosing a company without checking up on them. If you do decide to book when you arrive in Marrakech, then ask your riad to help you organise the tour for you.

You can get decent food for a very cheap price in Morocco, you just need to look around for the cafes the locals are eating in, you can get a decent meal in a cafe for £5 each. A nice 3 course meal in a riad will set you back around £20 each.

The tourist sites around Marrakech are cheap to get into, a total of £15-£20 each will get you entry into all of the main tourist sites.

Shanghai
reviews: 16
2. Re: Morocco budget help

That's really helpful especially the extra info on food and tourist sites. Any recommendations for tour companies would be appreciated. I've looked on the forums but still finding it overwhelming as there seem to be so many and am confused about whether hiring a car and then using a tour guide is best or getting the tour straight from Marrakech.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
3. Re: Morocco budget help

The cheapest way to do it is to get a good guide book, hire a car and selfdrive - as well a desert trip, you could visit 2/3 places along the coast with 7 days

If you want a tour company then just email a few that are rated on here and ask for quotes

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 105
4. Re: Morocco budget help

That should be plenty enough ..Stay off the beaten track when eating out .

5. Re: Morocco budget help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:26 am, May 06, 2014

Reply to: Morocco budget help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted