We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
reviews: 12
Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

I bought a rug from a large co-operative carpet retailer in central Marrakech (called Palais Vizir, at 29 Derb Sania Hay, Laksour) when in Marrakech a few weeks ago but they sent the wrong rug over. I have spoken to them several times on the phone since and they have retained the correct rug on one side for exchange (and they have sent photos showing the correct rug) but they are being slow and uncommunicative about engaging in the practicalities of exchanging the two carpets.

All that is needed is to find a cheap way of getting the wrong carpet between London and Marrakech.

The carpets are only about 2kg in weight, are not very valuable, and pack up into a hand luggage size bundle.

Can any one give me a steer on the cheapest form of shipping for something like this?

Alternatively, is anyone reading this travelling to and from Marrakech in the near future and willing to act as the courier for a small fee?

Or does anyone who knows Marrakech have any other bright ideas about how to resolve this?

8 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

Your best bet is that someone does read your second last sentence, is under their weight allowance and is willing to act as a courier. I take it that you are talking about kilims rather than carpets? Good luck!

Newcastle under Lyme
reviews: 3
2. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

You need to take into account the Airline Regulations! I am always asked if I am carrying 'something' for 'someone' else - so carrying this kilim /carpet for a complete stranger is ill advised. Just a thought

Peta

Mirleft, Morocco
reviews: 24
3. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

Peta, there is nothing wrong with carrying stuff for other people across borders - you just have to realize that you are responsible for whatever you carry. The only thing you have to make sure is that you really only carry a carpet and not a kilo of cocaine... and that's why I only take packages where I am present when it's being packed =)

Newcastle under Lyme
4. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

I am sorry If you feel differently to this but it seems to me to be irresponsible to do this for a stranger whether you are there when it is packed or not.

Peta

London, UK
reviews: 12
5. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

Thanks all. It's just a cactus silk kilim, so pretty light, about 2kg. They pack up surprisingly small, too. And it's obviously completely legit - I'm a lawyer (!)

Newcastle under Lyme
6. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

Trust me I'm a Doctor lol

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
7. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

www.parcel2go.com/parcel-delivery/morocco

Dixon
reviews: 19
8. Re: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London

Big mistake is buying a carpet at the beginning of your trip,, Those small bundles are very heavy and in my daughter's case we schlepped those things all over Morocco until common sense said send them home.

Cost of shipping via FedEx was half the cost of the rugs.

Reply to: Carrying / shipping a carpet between Marrakech and London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted