We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female traveller to desert

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 13
Single female traveller to desert

I will be spending a week in Marrakech and would love to do a 2-4 desert trip from Marrakech. Could I get a recommendation for a guide that is not very expensive.

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: Single female traveller to desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:14 am, April 14, 2014

2. Re: Single female traveller to desert

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, February 22, 2014
Edited: 12:05 pm, February 22, 2014

3. Re: Single female traveller to desert

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:44 am, February 22, 2014

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
4. Re: Single female traveller to desert

Hi girls,

Watch out for people offering their "services".

5. Re: Single female traveller to desert

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

Removed on: 9:44 am, February 22, 2014

Telegraph Point...
reviews: 26
6. Re: Single female traveller to desert

Were you just looking to get from Marrakech out to the desert near Merzouga? and then back again??

If so you'd need to stop overnight on the way across so you'd find it much cheaper to arrange a private taxi from Marrakech to, perhaps, Ait Benhaddou and stay overnight. And then get another taxi the rest of the way to Merzouga. I think you'd be looking at 1000-1500 Dh for each leg of the journey.

I can honestly recommend hiring a car!!!!!!!

Seriously. The buses do it far far cheaper but it's a pain and the times are not great. Negotiating at the actual taxi stands is not really a lot of fun either. It can get intimidating and just downright annoying to have all the blokes trying to find out where you want to go.

The roads are fine and if you get a good map you will find it soooo much easier in a car. I wish we'd done that, but we paid for private taxis instead. And we had the riads where we stayed each time phone around and find us a driver.

We stayed at Chez l'Habitants who runs Quiet Merzouga tours and i would highly recommend them. If you can't find contact details online I can pass on his email address. Genuine family and honest and really helpful! (He organised a private taxi for us from Merzouga to Fez for 1200Dh and the driver was brilliant).

Also, for the ppl mentioning a tour in Marrakech itself, you don't need one. Just wander.

And I have no idea why you would need a 'robust car'. The road from Marrakech to Merzouga does include a mountain pass but it's a regular (if not very wide!) road. Even the road to the desert is totally fine. You're not likely to want to head INTO the desert on your own. But to get to the actual accomm in the desert you don't need anything special.

Have fun!

London, United...
7. Re: Single female traveller to desert

Why a robust car ? I have been on this road before with 4 pals and I can tell you that in some stretches , it was challenging. We hired a 4x4 and it was really handy. I was talking from my experience.

And I do remember that we were browsing the other options and we found out that some travel agencies organise tours to Merzouga at 4000 Dhs where they provide accommodation, transportation ( 4x4) and it was half board.

For a single female traveller I think this option is much safer. Again these tours are not taking place daily. So you need to check that as well to make sure that they will suit your schedule.obviously you will not have the 4x4 for yourself.

Regards,

Bob

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
8. Re: Single female traveller to desert

You do NOT need a 4x4 to travel the main roads unless there's snow or massive debris brought down by heavy rain. The humble 2-wheel drive Dacia Logan is fine.

This was my Triumph Vitesse in the Dades valley when it was still a piste, in 1974: morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/1974-dades.…

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
9. Re: Single female traveller to desert

Right, you not need some robust car or 4x4, Dacia Logan is just fine, even when it was flooding on the road between Ouarzazate and Tinerhir so the car was going without problem through the water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93DMEgjwr0g

Reply to: Single female traveller to desert
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted