We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
B.C. canada
reviews: 7
Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

Hi we are 2 middle age women who are well traveled. We like to get off the beaten track and experience local customs. Don't need fancy accomondations. Flying into Cassablanca in May. Would like to see Fez, Atlas mountain, Gorges, Marrekesh, and lots of local people. Also a jaunt into the desert seems like a fun thing to do. Not too worried about beach time. Don't want to miss a thing. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
1. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

Good guidebook and map is your first help ☺ for example in Lonely Planet you can find quite many suggestions for your trip. Then when you have more concrete questions we can help, but now it is a little difficult.

3 weeks is good time for to learn much about the country, you can travel slowly, stay longer on some place you like etc.

Which time you will go and how you want to travel?

B.C. canada
2. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

We are arriving mid may 2014. Travel by bus, train, taxi. Would like to do a home stay with Bedouin if possible. We land in cassablanca. So from there train to fez? Then onto mountains, desert, Marrakech . Just need ideas of things along the way to see. Should we hire a car for the Atlas Mountains ?

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

I would suggest, like khamlia above, that a guidebook is a prerequisite for planning a three week trip. Narrow down your choices for "must sees" (Morocco has the land area of France or Spain for example and you cannot possibly achieve all that you may want to do) but your possible itinerary can certainly include Fes and Marrakech, a trip into the near desert, a day or two in the High Atlas mountains and even an overnight stay at one of the Atlantic coastal towns (Essaouira, Safi or al Jadida for example - not beach time unless you want it to be but centres of culture and interest too).

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
4. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

3 weeks is a good amount of time to see a lot of the country.

Can spend 1 day in Casablanca just to see the Hassan II Mosque then maybe get on a train to El Jadida/Azemmour which are off the beaten track from there you can either continue down the coast toward Safi and Essaouira or bus to Marrakech and stay a few days plus go to explore the Atlas Mountains (Imlil, Ouirgane etc).

Then hire a car and take your time (5/6 days or even more) to explore the kasbahs, gorges and desert before ending up in Fes for a few days plus trips Meknes, Volubilis, Moulay Idriss etc

Then Chefchaouen for the Rif Mountains before heading back to Casablanca.

London, United...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

You lucky things.. Three weeks is a nice long time to be in Morocco and May is a great time of year to visit. Having just returned from Marrakesh where we spent a week, I'd say that the Atlas mountains are a must, though I would wonder about driving in them as some of the roads in the higher regions are a bit basic and the view of the breathtaking scenery between those high roads and the valley floor is unencumbered by such luxuries as road markings, safety barriers or signage. In Marrakesh, treat yourselves to a "Hamman" (580 MAD each) in a place like "les Baines de Marrakesh" - this is a lovely mix of bathing, getting covered with mud and then being massaged.

Travel wise, the ONCF railway down to Marrakesh from Casablanca and Tangiers is LOVELY.. with air conditioned first class carriages and a station in Marrakesh that is a marbled work of art (albeit one with a McDonalds and a KFC in it, but hey ho.. this is Morocco with its roots in Africa and its branches in Europe). There are good "western" style hotels at 3,4 or 5 star rates within walking distance nearby. Onward travel from Marrakesh to the south or West is by Bus or taxi though..

There is a kind of Moroccan equivalent of "National Express" for onward travel from where trains end. "Supratours" go to Agadir and Essaouira from Marrakesh, though I would stay over at both places rather than try and appreciate them in a single day like we did (returning via a scary bus ride in the dark). Essaouira is a place I would return to, as it positively bursts with history and the people are friendly - no toilets anywhere though, so find a bar with a good one and use that as a base whilst you barter for intricately carved boxes and seventy different variations on the theme of the pottery Tajine..

Hope you have a blast.. and stick to the bottled water that they give you when you buy a coffee.

B.C. canada
6. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

Thanks for all the help. I was going to originally go from Casablanca to fez to Mergouza. Then onto gorges and rose valley and Atlas Mountains then to Marrakech . Then either fly out of Marrakesh to Portugal or train to Casa then fly. Would it be better to go to Marrakesh from Casa then do the loop back to Fez?

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
7. Re: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?

If you fly out from Marrakech, then the best route for you is Casa - Meknes - Fes - Erg Chebbi - Todra Gorge and Dades - Ouarzazate and finally Marrakech.

All this you can do by train (Casa to Meknes or Fes), then by Supratour bus and all information you find on www.oncf.ma

Or you can rent a car in Fes and drop it in Marrakech. And to Fes from Casa by train of course.

Edited: 6:38 am, February 14, 2014
Reply to: Can anyone help me with a three week Itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted