We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven...
reviews: 1
Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

Hello! I (a solo traveler!) will be flying into Casablanca on March 7 at 1PM.

I would really like to visit Marrakesh, Rabat, Fez, and the Atlas Mountains. Unfortunately, I do not have too much time in this beautiful country. I will take the ferry from Tangier on March 11 and make my way to Seville. This leaves me only about 4 days in Morocco, which means I would like to make the most of my time there! I would appreciate any advice you might have for cool places to go (within mentioned cities, or additional suggestions). If you have experience traveling between these cities--what is the most efficient route? I have done some research on the trains (especially between Tangier, Casablanca, Marrakesh), but I'd appreciate any additional advice from a local or previous traveler. Also would be grateful for any general advice about travel in Morocco, social norms/behavior/taboos, etc.

THANK YOU!

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
1. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

You do not have the time to visit all of the locations you list. You would spend half a day travelling between Marrakech and Fes for example. Stay in either of these Imperial cities and take a day trip from either - Meknes, Volubilis and Moulay Idriss from Fes, and the High Atlas (Imlil, Ouirgane?) from Marrakech.

New Haven...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

To go to the Atlas Mountains, do you recommend a certain bus company?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 71
3. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

you have no chance to see all those places - just get the train from Casablanca to Marrakech, stay there for all your time (there is plenty to see) and do a daytrip to the Atlas Mountains (your hotel/riad will help you organise this)

You can then easily fly from Marrakech to Seville - saving you a lot of time and money on unnecessary travel!

Read the TOP QUESTIONS section on the top righthand side of this page for info about behaviour etc.

Altrincham, United...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

Don't under estimate Tanger. I stayed there for two nights last week on my way to the ferry. Great city. Loved it.

Have a great trip.

Luton
reviews: 6
5. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

If you are flying in to Casablanca and departing from Tanger with only four days to spend in Morocco, it would not be sensible to head south to Marrakech and the High Atlas Mountains, much as they are amongst my favourite destinations in Morocco. You would do much better to head north from Casablanca, spending most of your time in just Fes and perhaps Chefchaouen. These are also two excellent destinations and have the advantage of being broadly on the road to Tanger, thereby cutting down on your travelling time. In heading for Chefchaouen, you would also have the opportunity to enjoy a route through the Rif Mountains.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
6. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

Very much agree with the above.

Mar 7 train from Casablanca to Fez, Mar 8 explore Fez, Mar 9 bus to Chefchaouen ( 4+ hours), Mar 10 explore Chefchaouen, Mar 11 bus to Tanger. You don't have time to fit anything else in.

Edited: 6:26 am, January 06, 2014
northern NJ
reviews: 110
7. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

I too am going to Morocco in March this year with my family. We are flying into Marrakech and out of Rabat with only 7 full days. I am planning to spend the first three days in Marrakech, then take the 7 hour train on day 4 to Fez, spend three days three and then spend the last day in Rabat. Any advice on day trips from Marrakech and Fez. Also, on whether to head straight to Rabat from Fes (2 hour drive) or stop somewhere on the way.

Thanks.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 63
8. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

Hi AKR1,

With only 7 days I'd suggest you look at either Marrakech or Fes, not both and as you are flying into Marrakech you may as well stay there. There are various options from either city for day trips or overnight visits and you'll have time to really enjoy the city you choose rather than trying to rush around a see everything.

Edited: 4:57 pm, January 20, 2014
Portland, Oregon
9. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

We too want to "experience" Morocco but have only 1 week. We are staying in Malaga until our visit.

All the tour companies from Malaga to Morocco are travel intense with multiple cities. We aren't sure if we need the tour door-to-door service. I don't want fear of the unknown to keep us from having the best time possible. We are not "world travelers", but can manage independent transportation if we understand the details. Companies we are considering Costafrica, fEvadamo , Blue Men of Morocco, and Viator.

That said, if we are advised to go bus or train to one or more cities on our own, which would you suggest and in what order.

We appreciate any help you can offer.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 60
10. Re: Traveling Morocco in March 2014!

Linda, how you want to arrive to Morocco, by flight or by ferry?

Anyway, if by ferry so you can do your trip by bus, for example from Tangier to Chefchaouen, then Fes and back, more time you have not for to see more than this.

If by flight, choose one city (Fes or Marrakech), stay there a couple of days and make some day trip around only.