We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget for 5 days??

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 14
budget for 5 days??

Will shortly be going to marrakech for 5 days and want to ask you all about my budget

Its going to be around 4000mad for the 5 days. I have sorted accommodation at my hostel.

I am travelling solo so dont plan on eating anywhere expensive, the cheaper the better as long as it fills a hole!

Will be doing some shopping but just for tiny souvenirs really.

Is my budget ok?

Also where is a good cafe for solo person to eat in the medina? If it serves beer then good but I can cope without! I am staying at hostel marrakech rouge but dont mind a bit of a wander

It is just a chill out holiday to wander around marrakech, see some sights maybe go on day trip to atlas mountains.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
1. Re: budget for 5 days??

You can get a decent meal in a cafe around the Medina area (or Gueliz) for £5, so 2 meals and your breakfast for £15 per day. Some of the smaller cafes have the best food, unfortunately most of their shop signs are in Arabic so I couldn't tell you which ones I have been to, my advice would be to go into the ones which are busy with locals in there, the locals tend to know which cafes have the best food.........also make sure you have at least one evening meal in the outdoor food stalls in Jemma el Fna square, the food is average, but you cannot beat the experience.

Small souvenirs can be had for a couple of pounds each, small painted ceramics, wooden boxes, etc can all be bargained to well under £5 each.

Most of the tourist sites only charge a few pounds to get in, so if you visit 4 or 5 of them, it would cost less than £20.

You can see a lot of Marrakech for not a lot of money if you want to, you could even take a daytrip to the coastal town of Essaouira on the Supertours coach (for around £7 each way).

You will be fine with the budget you have set, just remember to bargain hard for all the things you buy (and watch out for the taxi drivers, ask them to put their meter on, or agree a price before setting off).

Edited: 3:10 pm, November 08, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 10
2. Re: budget for 5 days??

As always invaluable advice from MB 15. You can also treat yourself to a decent meal in a good restaurant but otherwise you can live on snacks , sandwiches for 30 to 50 dh

London, United...
3. Re: budget for 5 days??

I have read on here that toubkal by jemaa el fna square is supposed to be quite reasonably priced. Maybe good for an afternoon snack.

Luton
reviews: 6
4. Re: budget for 5 days??

You can certainly live quite comfortably for five days in Marrakech with 4000dh if you put your mind to it.

It's been about 18 months since I last visited some of the tourist sites there but they remain very inexpensive. The prices I paid at that time were: Musee de Marrakech 60dh; Maison de la Photographie 40dh; guide at the tanneries 20dh; Menara Gardens free + 10dh for the pavilion.

Meals can be very inexpensive, too. If you head along the road that runs just inside the medina wall between Bab Moussoufa and Bab Doukkala you will find a row of fantastic fish cafes. I've yet to meet anyone in any of them but Moroccans. Here you can eat freshly fried mixed fish and aubergines served with bread and dips for just 10dh. Excellent value!

London, United...
5. Re: budget for 5 days??

Alan thanks for your reply.

Iwas thinking of the tanneries but wary of getting stung by a "guide" wanting extortionate tip even though I am a seasoned haggler from going to turkey twice a year! How did you manage to get a guide for 20dh

Luton
6. Re: budget for 5 days??

Hi Adrian,

As I'm sure you realise, the guides are unofficial and approach you as you near the tanneries. It's less a question of you engaging the guide and more a question of the guide engaging you! There is therefore no rate agreed between you; the guide simply expects a tip at the end of the tour.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
7. Re: budget for 5 days??

Café/restaurant Toubkal on the square is basic but clean and cheap. They provide set menus for lunches. Try the kefta, grilled liver or lamb cutlets (cotelets) for example, served with spiced rice, bread and salad.

Rue Bab Doukkala itself also has cheap eateries - as well as the fish bars look out for t'hal, a kind of meatloaf in a spicy gravy. Very satisfying!

London, United...
8. Re: budget for 5 days??

Rougly what are the prices for the stalls in jeema el fna square?

Also any other cheap places to eat anyone can recommend?

As I am in a hostel I will probably buy some groceries but would like one meal a day out.

Luton
9. Re: budget for 5 days??

Of course, the price of a meal in Jemaa el-Fna will depend upon what you choose to eat. To give you an idea, I recently footed the bill for 12 people who each selected their own dish from chicken skewers, fish and chips, and vegetable tagine, with dips, olives and bread for starters, all washed down with coca colas and fantas. The bill came to 450 dirhams!

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 30
10. Re: budget for 5 days??

Agree with Alan, you can have a meal with a soft drink for around £4-£5, but just be careful, some stalls will bring out things you haven't ordered, if you eat these you will be expected to pay for them at the end.