We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To book or not to book

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
To book or not to book

Lots of accommodations in Marrakech including private apartments and riads allow smoking. I am a non smoker and have already discarded lots of interesting options only because they allowed smoking. I find it hard to believe the owners who sustain there is no smell of cigarettes…

How bad is it there? Did somebody encounter the same problem?

I will be getting to Marrakech late at night and would stay for a couple of weeks. And the best thing would be to secure some self catering accommodation in advance. But all require prepayment and if something goes wrong and I don’t like the place, no money will be given back. Don’t know what to do…

7 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
1. Re: To book or not to book

Hi,

If you are such a rabid anti-smoking person maybe Morocco is not for you at all. Most cafes and restaurants and all the bars allow smoking.

Luton
reviews: 7
2. Re: To book or not to book

I'm a non-smoker, too, but I've never had a problem with others smoking in Morocco. Maybe it's because I don't make a habit of hanging around bars, or maybe it's because I have almost no sense of smell .... If you feel so strongly about smoking, however, why not book into a hotel for your first night or two to give yourself a chance to survey your options.

Italy
3. Re: To book or not to book

I could not care less about cafes, restaurants and bars. And about this forum that never responded any of my questions yet.

Luton
4. Re: To book or not to book

Is this a wind up? I know that this is at least the third of your posts that I personally have responded to this month, the previous two being about Megdaz -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g304018-i11178-k…

and Telouet Kasbah -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g304018-i11178-k…

You sound rattled, but I've no idea why ....

Italy
5. Re: To book or not to book

As to Megdaz. I got a reply on this forum, and some days later a completely different reply (the opposite actually) to the same question from the same person (not you) on another forum. No comment

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
6. Re: To book or not to book

Hi,

Your many questions have all had hopefully helpful answers from people some of which you have thanked. Why is this issue causing you to be so upset?

Smoking is very common in Morocco unlike other countries so if it upsets you so much you will have a problem.

Edited: 8:21 pm, October 31, 2013
Luton
7. Re: To book or not to book

Thanks for explaining the conflicting advice you have received about Megdaz.. I can promise you that the information I offered you is entirely accurate. I spend a lot of time trekking in the Atlas mountains for professional reasons and am extremely careful to record accurate details. If you would like any further assurance, please follow the link below to my Facebook page where you will find a photograph of Lahcen (the gentleman in the yellow cap) who I mentioned organises the accommodation in the village. He is standing in front of the French-built gite which he then took me inside to have a look around. I afterwards spent a happy afternoon eating walnuts on the roof terrace of his family home, a beautiful tighremt, and was kindly shown the rooms in which he regularly accommodates trekkers.

https://www.facebook.com/Trekinmorocco.co.uk?ref=hl#!/media/set/?set=a.241640142649303.1073741828.134293716717280&type=3

I hope that you do decide to go to Morocco and have a fabulous time.

Best wishes,

Alan

Reply to: To book or not to book
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted