We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency advice, please.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Currency advice, please.

My husband and I are going to stay in a spa hotel outside Marrakech in November, the idea being to have a relaxing time in a warm climate. The poor old chap has been working hard. We plan to get our currency at the airport and exchange any excess on the return journey - we know it's a closed currency. As the holiday is an all-inclusive Travel Republic deal we won't need much money, but should we take sterling cash to exchange, or rely on our debit cards? I've read some disturbing reviews about using cards, and would prefer not to if we can avoid it, but we may need to if we underestimate expenditure.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Currency advice, please.

You are likely to receive a range of advice in response to your question including suggestions that you take either sterling, or debit cards or credit cards, or a combination of these. Much comes down to personal preference. For my own part, I always take as much sterling with me as I expect to use, keeping both a credit card and a debit card in reserve. I can only guess what sort of disturbing reviews you have read about using cards and offer that I have yet to encounter any difficulties myself.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Currency advice, please.

Where did you read disturbing reviews about using debit cards?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Currency advice, please.

Hi,

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

Should help.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Currency advice, please.

I've been living here for years and have personally never encountered any problem with using debit or credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs. You might have people begging nearby and sometimes the 'portable' ATMs keep your card if there is an issue with the machine (not that common). This happened to me but was quickly resolved. The was a recent limitation on withdrawal placed by some banks of 2000DH per day but that seems to vary from machine to machine. Last week I was able to withdraw 4000DH from one machine in a rural town.

If you bring notes, best they have not been written on as these are occasionally rejected.

5. Re: Currency advice, please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech