We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location/address of seven saints

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 2
Location/address of seven saints

Hi All,

Hope you all are in the best of health, I was wondering if anyone knows where the seven saints of Marrakech are? the location and address.

I have tried googling info, however the best i got was, this persons tomb is near Bab el something something, etc.

I don't want to spend alot on a tour guide, so was hoping to taxi my way round, and do the visits myself, any recomendations on how to get around to see the seven saints tombs?

Also I want to experience some sufism thing, anyone been to any place where they do chanting of gods name/spiritual exercises in Marrakech.

A map with pin point locations would be fab.

I look forward to hearing from you all, thanks in advance for all your help.

17 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Bab is a gate in the old medina walls, there are several in Marrakech. Remembering the name of the gate would be a start and would put you in the vicinity.

Chanting names of gods... There is only one god in Sufism and it is the same name as mainstream Islam and Arabic Christianity, i.e. Allah (literally THE God).

Edited: 12:52 pm, October 27, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
2. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Bab is a gate in the old medina walls, there are several in Marrakech. Remembering the name of the gate would be a start and would put you in the vicinity.

Chanting names of gods... There is only one god in Sufism and it is the same name as mainstream Islam and Arabic Christianity, i.e. Allah (literally THE God).

Edited: 12:53 pm, October 27, 2013
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 60
3. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Hi,

madein-marrakech.com/en/article-seven-saints…

Gives you the locations so with a map of the medina to show you the various Babs etc you should be able to find them.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
4. Re: Location/address of seven saints

thank shimmins, it was something new I learnt today :), didn't know that even in Morocco have saints.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
5. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Saints are not really mainstream Islam, but then Morocco isn't mainstream Islam and beliefs incorporate both Christian ideas from the Roman occupation and the anamist roots of the previous Berber religion.

Sidi is Arabic saint; Sidi Issa is Joshua (aka Jesus). You find the word sidi used in many town names, for example, Sidi Ifni.

Marabout is the equivalent Berber word which is used to describe both a saint and his burial place. Picture of a marabout: morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/e11091.jpg

Edited: 3:44 pm, October 27, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 40
6. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Sidi is also Sir in arabic, or? I know that they say so often, a sidi Hassan (sir Hassan) for example when they speak to someone.

Luton
reviews: 7
7. Re: Location/address of seven saints

I've wanted to know the answer to this question myself for some time, ever since reading an inspiring excerpt entitled "The City of the Seven Saints" which was included in "Marrakech the Red City - the City through Writers' Eyes" (2003), ed.Barnaby Rogerson and Stephen Lavington. Tantalisingly, the excerpt, part of a chapter written by Nina Epton and originally published in full in her book "Saints and Sorcerers" (1958), gives very little about the location of the saints away. I have often assumed that amongst them are Sidi es Souheili, whose zaouia is found just outside Bab er Rob, and wondered if Lalla Zohra, a woman, no less, whose koubba is found close to Koutoubia, could even be included in their number ...

Luton
reviews: 7
8. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Sorry, Shimmin - I misundertood your post until now. A terrific post - thank you very much!

London, United...
9. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Thanks for your info, have you ever been to one of them spiritual zawiyas, where they do some chanting in a circle, and a person stands in the middle, pointing his finger at people in the circle, and some people look like they are getting an electric shock, I want to experience one of those.

London, United...
10. Re: Location/address of seven saints

Alan- thanks for your post, I have never heard of Lalla Zohra, just read abit about her, wow an amazing story, I will deffo pay some respects at the tomb.

Reply to: Location/address of seven saints
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted