We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakesh - cheap?!

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
195 reviews
Marrakesh - cheap?!

I'm looking into booking a long weekend for myself and my husband in Marrakech and 5 star hotels seem to be REALLY cheap! Am I missing something or is Marrakech in general just super cheap?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

check the reviews carefully for any potential hotel - the star ratings in Morocco often dont mean a lot, I recently stayed in a so called 4star hotel in Casablanca that barely deserves 2stars!

most of the time you get what you pay for, however there are some very nice hotels in areas that are a bit far from the action (e.g. Agdal or Palmeraie) that have good deals as they are struggling to fill their rooms - so you may get a good hotel but need to taxis everywhere.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

check out the riads as well. staying in a riad in the medina is what makes marrakech special for me.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

AI hotels are not authentic - if you want cheap then that is what you get, especially in the Agdal or Palmeraies districts. For the real deal take the advice from pam_redboots. Stay in the ancient medina, the real heart of Marrakech.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

Some of the genuine 5* hotels are relatively cheap (compared to other places around the World), some of the "other" 5* hotels are probably 3* hotels in reality.

Having stayed in a few different hotels and riads in Marrakech, I would agree with what has been already recommended to you, there is a big difference between hotels and riads, and I would always stay in riad.

Marrakech can be as cheap (or as expensive as you want), it caters for all budgets........

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
195 reviews
5. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

I had no idea what sort of prices hotels were, I looked on expedia.co.uk and was shocked that some of the 5 star road hotels are literally peanuts!!

I'm use to paying something like £120 for a 5 star hotel for one night, but according to expedia, I can get a 5 star for 3 nights for £200!!! So thought I post and check here with you experts!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

The hotels you have seen are probably 3 or 4* in reality, the "real" 5* hotels do charge around £100-£120+ per night, the two examples I can think of are Sofitel Marrakech (around £120 per night) and Hotel ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie (around £110 per night).

You can often get special offers, my friends have just booked a late deal with Thomson, 7 nights all inclusive, flight from Gatwick to Marrakech, staying at Hotel ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie for £350 per person.

You can get a very nice riad in the medina for £70 per night, that price would include transfers and be on a bed and breakfast, it really is a different experience and one you should try out when visiting Marrakech.

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
195 reviews
7. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

Thank you MIB15. I will do some more poking around! Plan to book in November.

Definitely want to stay in a nice road!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

We're going for a few days at the end of December but staying out in the Palmaerie as, having stayed in Istanbul last year in the 4 Seasons we couldn't sleep for the call to prayer being broadcast through speakers at ungodly (sorry!) hours.

I know we'll have to pay for taxis but also don't really feel comfortable with too much noise, hassle and bustle so will just dip in to the Medina for a couple of afternoons/evenings.

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

I stayed in sofitel and les jardins de la koutubia they are real deal 5* . Also stayed at cheap 5* which was disappointing in reality3* but what you pay is what you get check hotel reviews on here before booking

10. Re: Marrakesh - cheap?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 29, 2014