We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Moroccan food

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fareham
reviews: 19
Authentic Moroccan food

Do you have any restaurants to recommend for real moroccan food rather than those catered for tourist palate. I guess the answer is go where the locals go, so near Jemaa el fna, any thoughts ? We will try food from the stalls in the square one evening so where else to go ?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

Real Moroccan food tends to be found at home where the ladies spend many hours preparing it.

Local street food is more of a 'snack' variety, but still nice. Try stall #14 on the square if you can get a seat--it's often surrounded by locals waiting patiently.

2. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:41 am, October 28, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
3. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

In Marrakech there are far more outlets than just the food stalls in Djemma al Fna (although certainly worth a visit for the carnival atmosphere as well as the food). There are thousands of café/restaurants throughout the medina where locals eat (and the few lucky tourists who discover them!) For example look at the Bab Doukkala district for a plethora of local cafes but you can discover other eateries in every quartier of the medina. Larger restaurants, especially those in the New Town, tend to serve blander "Westernised" cuisines.

All riads in Marrakech have their own cooks and some their own trained chefs too and the cuisine is traditional unless otherwise requested (some cooks are experimenting with fascinating fusion style cooking) as I do. But apart from an invitation to a Moroccan home (where it is pot luck what might be served - and I have had a couple of unpleasant surprises!) then a riad is your best bet. Like all countries Morocco enjoys regional cuisines and it is worth seeking out specialities here in Marrakech. Bon appetite!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
4. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

Hi,

Try;

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293734-d3…

For real Moroccan lamb. Also the fish shop which has a small local cafe near the gates of Bab Doukkala.

Edited: 1:15 pm, September 23, 2013
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
5. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

Home cooking is a real experience. And my experience of riads is similar, though as Pilo says there's a degree of fusioon experimentation.

My French friend and I were invited to a meal in a Moroccan home in Azrou. After a small starter Charles was encouraged to eat more and more of the main course, before declaring himself stuffed. I had been a bit more measured in the quantities as I guessed what would happen next.

As our host carried the remnants back to the kitchen (men and women eat separately when there are strange guests), I said to Charles, "Do you know what's coming now?"

He said no, to which I replied, "Another main course!" And so it was. He manfully tried another plateful.

And then a pudding. After the major eating marathon our host invited us to stretch out on the cushions and have a post meal nap.

Edited: 1:22 pm, September 23, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
6. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

I second the advice in Post4 - Mechoui Alley is a must visit for a local food experience!

by the way they only do it at lunchtime

Taroudannt...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

Pilo, your comment @3 "...an invitation to a Moroccan home (where it is pot luck what might be served - and I have had a couple of unpleasant surprises!)", reminded me of the time I was invited for dinner on Eid al Adha, the big one coming up middle of Oct.

After the slaughter of the huge sheep, and the meticulous dismembering, I was expecting that there would be real Meat in the Tajine served later. But, surprise, it was Kulya (lungs), and nothing else, which I don't particularly like.

8. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:41 am, October 28, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
9. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

When I first bought the riad in Marrakech (yes, it's another ghastly food story!) I stayed with the family until the refurbishment was nearly completed and the children had finished their school terms. One day I questioned the previous owner why there were ropes of leathery looking items hanging from a washing line on the terrace. These turned out to be sheep's intestines hanging there to be air cured. Later to be soaked and cleaned and stuffed with offal then BBQ-d over charcoal. Thankfully when the family left they took the guts with them! Perhaps it would have been tasty as the filling apparently consisted of not only lung but liver and kidney too.

On a similar note a speciality of Marrakech is a kind of meatloaf/haslet/faggot/haggis served in a rich spiced onion gravy. This is not to be found at the food stalls or restaurants and is called t'hal and the best cafes that serve it are on Rue Bab Doukkala.

Fareham
reviews: 19
10. Re: Authentic Moroccan food

Thanks guys for the advice and I enjoyed the stories . I will probably give intestines a miss though it doesn't actually sound too different from sausages, don't they use intestine. we shall put Bab Doukkala on our itinerary, sounds fascinating, and Tim I have noted stall #14.