We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do locals shop?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
reviews: 2
Where do locals shop?

Hi I'll be going to Marrakech soon, I do plan on visiting the souks for the experience but if there quality is like anything like the grand bazaar in Istanbul, don't really think I'll buy much. So just wanted to know where the locals go to shop really, any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Agadir city Morocco
reviews: 1
1. Re: Where do locals shop?

You could buy what you would in Jemaa El Fin square Souk how is cheap

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Where do locals shop?

Depends where they live of course. Within the medina where I live I and other local folk shop locally for provisions. Most of my neighbours have never set foot in one of the supermarkets but use the nearby food markets and kiosks for example. If you mean shopping for items other than the essentials then Marrakshi families have their own well established contacts for such things as clothing and fabrics for example. If on the other hand you mean artisinal/craft items then the souks offer tourist bric-a-brac tat to high quality products. The souks are a sprawling maze of alleyways, quite unlike the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. There is a well known artisinat complex on Avenue Mohammed V which features many small shops selling fixed priced (fixed by the government) items which are usually of high quality.

3. Re: Where do locals shop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 13, 2014