We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

Hi all

I am visiting Morocco in late September for 2.5 weeks, and will be attending a conference in Marrakech for 3 days during my stay. The conference is held at the Palais des Congrès de la Palmeraie, Palmeraie Hotels & Resorts.

I will be in Marrakech for a few days before the conference, and will be staying in a riad in the medina on those days, but for the duration of the conference I think it will be easiest for me to stay at one of the Palmeraie hotels. I would like to be able to explore more of Marrakech in the afternoons/evenings after the talks are done so I am hoping to catch a taxi from the Palmeraie to the medina in the afternoons, and then a taxi back in the evenings. Does anyone have any idea how much this taxi ride might cost? Is it likely that my hotel might be able to arrange a taxi there and back for me so that I can get a fair and fixed price and not have to worry about getting into a taxi on my own at night (I am a solo female traveler, 27 years old).

Thank you all very much!

7 replies to this topic
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
1. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

Yes, ask the hotel if they provide a shuttle bus or taxi service. As you are travelling to/from a five star hotel expect the taxi driver to ask for 200MAD

Sydney
2. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

Hello,

Thank you for that information. Would that be 200MAD one way or return? Either way, that will end up being quite costly if I do it over a few days. I really don't want to stay at the Palmeraie as it is so far and so expensive and I'd much prefer to stay in a riad, but am worried about catching a taxi from the Medina to the conference in the mornings as I don't want to be late.

If I was to stay in a riad, are the staff usually able to organise a taxi pick up for a specific time? That way I wouldn't have to worry about rushing to find a taxi on my own. Although the taxi ride might still be costly, at least I would save on my accommodation costs compared to the Palmeraie!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
3. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

you can get a taxi for 100dh each way from Medina to Palmeraie (maybe more at night), but they will probably ask for more and you may need to haggle.

there is also the Taxi Vert service - you call a cab to pick you up and they are usually pretty reliable. Your riad should be able to organise this for you, see this thread for more info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k583…

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
4. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

The Hotels offers free shuttle bus as mentioned above, but can be only twice a day in a certain times, otherwise you might just use the Taxi to the Medina anytime.

Sydney
5. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

Thank you all that's very helpful! I have decided to stay in the Medina and use that taxi ordering service :)

London
6. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

We got back this morning! The Palmeraie is quite a way out, If you get a 48hr pass for the bus touristique not only will it get you easily from the Palmeraie to the Medina but it only cost 165 MAD for 48 hrs you can hop on and off as many times as you like, and for your first trip it has an audioguide in many different languages and runs once an hour from the Palmeraie and every 20 mins or so for the other route. I'd still get a taxi back at night or the bus to Gueliz then a taxi from there. Marrakech can be overwhelming and is incredibly manic, sometimes not having to haggle for something is nice and we found it was a good way to get our bearings around the city. There are various stops and wherever you get on first you can buy the pass, look for the red bus stop signs 'bus touristique' , the easiest one to find is probably next to Jemaa al Fna near where the horse and carriage rides depart from (Caleche).

Sydney
7. Re: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina

Wow that is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

In the end I decided to stay only one night at the Palmeraie and the rest in a riad in the medina but I will still need transport to and from - the bus sounds perfect!

Reply to: Getting from the Palmeraie complex to the medina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted