We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best views of Djemma el Fna?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 19
Best views of Djemma el Fna?

Hello all,

I've noticed many pics that overlook Djemma el Fna and was wondering are these pics mostly from restaurants of hotels around the square? Are there places you can go to for free to oversee the square?

Thanks!

Meraj

London, United...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

Sit and sip a mint tea from the roof terrace at cafe de france. You cant miss it its the highest cafe on the main square. Tip-take a packet of tissues with you as if you use the loo the attendant will give you one sheet of loo roll and expect a tip for it.

Or if you fancy a bite to eat-aqua restaturant is just along from cafe de france. You can sit on the terrace and eat a yummy pizza.

Cafe de glacier is near cafe de france and some recommend there though I think the best views are from cafe de france.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 12
2. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

Personally I disliked many of the restaurants with their awful plastic furniture/cheap plastic table cloths or tables crammed together giving very little space or smokers within inches whilst trying to eat and waiters ignoring customers.

My preference is for Grand Balcon du Cafe Glacier (aka Terrasse Panoramique) for a drink before sunset and watch the spectacle of the square unfold. You have no choice but to pay for a soft drink (10Dh) after which you go through a turnstile to access the terrace. You will see pretty much everything from here although it does get very crowded at times.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
3. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

I sat at the roof of Cafe de France and had a beautiful view over the whole square. Nice it was.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
4. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

As a resident I would go for John's suggestion of Grand Balcon du Cafe Glacier (aka Terrasse Panoramique). Café de France is not directly on the square and service is haphazard to say the least. If you arrive early enough head for the corner facing the Koutoubia minaret - one of the best views in the medina.

Meraj, there are no hotels on Djemma al Fna itself but little backpacker ones on the side streets.

morocco
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

Best view for me is from Café de France

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 19
6. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

Ok, thanks everyone for the input. I guess it's down to Grand Balcon du Cafe Glacier and Cafe de France. I can do both on different days I guess.

Paris, France
reviews: 63
7. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

These pics are taken from the many restaurants with rooftop terraces.

You'll have lots of options when you get there

Gateshead, England
reviews: 394
8. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

We were on the rooftop of Café de France overlooking the square last Wednesday. We got there at about quarter to seven in the evening and got a table and seats at the front. By 7.00 pm the front tables were gone and there were a few miffed people who came in after seven. So time it right and you'll get one of the best views as the sun goes down and the square lights up. Spend about an hour and have a soda. The whole experience cost us 80 dirhams ( four sodas ) and when we left it was dark. Great to see.

9. Re: Best views of Djemma el Fna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 12, 2014