We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying with euros

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brighton england
reviews: 28
paying with euros

is it better to exchange to dirhams or can most things be bought with euros, or maybe a mixture of both thanks

29 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
21. Re: paying with euros

So, when I arrive in Marrakech in 19 days, I'll be bringing english pounds with me...and can get what I need changing into Dirhams at Marrakech airport? Keep any receipts, and on my return home, can go to the bureau de change at the airport, and get my Dirhams changed back to english pounds??!!

My head is spinning!

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
22. Re: paying with euros

Yes, that's it.

23. Re: paying with euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 28, 2013

Leeds, United...
24. Re: paying with euros

Excellent....thanks both.....

North east
reviews: 11
25. Re: paying with euros

HI,

you are allowed to take 1000 dirhams (about £90) in and out of Morocco. You can pre order them at a bureau before you travel,I also recommend giving plenty of notice, however you will only get 200 notes unless smaller notes have been bought back from the public and are in stock. I would recommend a euro prepaid card for larger amounts as it protected with a 24 hour refund service similar to travellers cheques.

Hope this helps.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
reviews: 22
26. Re: paying with euros

nemesis69 - a prepaid card in euros is going to lose you money compared to a pre-paid card loaded in sterling that converts directly to dirhams. My personal preference is a FairFX Anywhere card but I believe Caxton Global is also good.

There is really no point ordering any dirhams for collection in the UK as the exchange rate will be terrible. It's easy enough to change money either at the airport or at one of the bureau de changes in the city and you can ask for small denominations if they have them.

North east
reviews: 11
27. Re: paying with euros

Hello again,

I thought I would wait until I returned from Marrakech before replying. So I have done my sums and here is what I [still] recommend:- I took dirhams in 200 notes, I was a bit worried I wouldn't get change etc,. I had no problems, if vendors didnt have change they went and got it. You get a slightly better rate for your dirham in Morocco than the UK , exchange rates work out roughly the same for both euro and sterling so if you prefer to use cash take sterling and exchange it there, if you have euros take them too, vendors will accept them and you you wont lose out, ( therefore dont change your euros back to sterling to exchange into dirhams) if you prefer to use cards, it cheaper to get a euro cash passport as you incur a 2% charge to load a sterling card, not many vendors accept cards so you will have to use an atm where it will cost you either £1.50 or 2 euro flat fee and get dirhams out, stick to bank atms not privately owned ones as you incur extra charges, this applies to all cards, expect to pay at least 2.75% for debit cards, check the back of your bank statement and it will tell you how much your bank will charge. If you have any dirhams left there are plenty of Moroccans in need of them. Hope this helps.

Agadir city Morocco
reviews: 1
28. Re: paying with euros

You change out of dirhams into Euros or dollars in Bank have big rate

29. Re: paying with euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:51 am, October 28, 2013

Reply to: paying with euros
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted