We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 7
Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

I'm leaving for Marrakech a week from tomorrow (SO excited) and i've done my research, but i still thought i'd come here for any last minute advice on how to keep from any stomach issues while there. I unfortunately have IBS but im not letting it stop me from traveling! I do take meds to help, but obviously have a more sensitive stomach to things. I've been told drink from water bottles, avoid ice and salads washed in the water, anything else? Is the orange juice everyone raves about OK to have? I assume yes if it's fresh straight juice. Mint tea ok because it's been heated? Any other tips aside from the usual wash your hands stuff? Just want to know if im missing anything or any foods i should avoid. I might just stay away from eating at the Jemaa el-Fnaa food stalls just to play it safe.

1. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:11 am, October 28, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

In addition to that, i'd add to drink Meneral water, and eat just cooked salade, don't eat the salads that is washed by the local water, don't drink Orange Juice before breakfast, and try always to go only to the recommended places restaurants don't eat in the street shops, that will make your stomach okay.

Please use the search box for more info about this as you can see some of the recent detailed topics about see here : tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k663…

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

Thanks guys for the tips!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
4. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

I'm amazed to find a Moroccan advocating mineral water over the town water provided on ONEP. Sure, if you're the sort of person who gets a gippy stomach from drinking water from 50 miles away, but otherwise the local water is just fine, and it's what your plates, cutlery and cups/glasses are washed in.

Additionally 'mineral water' like Coca Cola's Ciel is actually incredibly highly chlorinated tap water, whilst Sidi Harazem which is good for dissolving kidney stones is revolting to the taste.

norfolk
reviews: 30
5. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

take a pack of drinking straws. there is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with the orange juice from the stalls on the square, but i found it quite gross that patrons took a straw from the dispensor and put it back after they'd finished their drink! i saw this happening in other places as well. on one occasion, staff in a cafe were collecting straws and glasses, swilling both in a nearby stream, and refilling them.

aside from that, hand washing is the most important thing you can do. i use antibacterial gel as well, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Paris, France
reviews: 63
6. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

you know, funny enough, I didn't think about food poisoning or anything like that when I went to morocco.

it was only after about 4 days in Marrakech that I thought to myself 'I am buying orange juice from previously used water bottles. but where did these water bottles come from, and how were they sanitized?'

I never got diarrhea or nausea from any of the food at the restaurants, the djema el fnaa square or the orange juice stands.

I don't know what this might mean for you if you have a sensitive stomach though.

Hope it all works out for you,

http://moroccotravel101.blogspot.ca/

Luton
reviews: 6
7. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

.... and don't forget to wash your hands regularly. You could heed all the good advice above, but unless you keep your hands clean you'd be liable to consume all sorts of bacteria. Sorry to state the obvious, but do wash your hands regularly and throroughly at least before and after meals!

NZ
reviews: 26
8. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

Ironically it was the orange juice that did me in completely although I had only had one large gulp. It was supposed to be fresh but seemed super sweet. The person with me had a better palate than I did and picked the issue straight away. It had started to ferment and sugar had been added to disguise it. Motto of the story - drink water at the motorway stop not orange juice.

morocco
reviews: 1
9. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

In addition to tap water and fresh salads I would recommend eating fish in Marrakesh before November, good luck

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 68
10. Re: Best Advice to Keep From Tummy Troubles?

We never had a problem cleaning our teeth using tap water (never swallowed it of course), but the other half had a salade at one of the restaurants overlooking the jemaa el fna square and paid the price for it for the next 3 days...