We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December what to pack

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
29 reviews
December what to pack

We will be arriving in Marrakech December first for our 3 week trip in Morocco. We understand weather is unpredictable but we'd like to pack as light as possible. I understand layers is the key however I'm not sure how far to go. Will a light longsleeve shirt and fleece zip up be warm enough? We thought of bringing light gloves and and something for our ears as well. Is this overkill? Any suggestions?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: December what to pack

... and some warm sweater will be good too. It can be rainy also.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: December what to pack

Hi,

You can always buy something warm/waterproof here if you don't want to bring too much. There are international shops in the new town and supermarkets carry clothes ranges as well.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: December what to pack

I have visited Marrakech a few times in December, I have found a fleece to be enough in the evenings, no need for gloves or anything for your ears.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: December what to pack

Nightwear?

Mold, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
425 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: December what to pack

Are you just staying in Marrakesh or travelling into the mountains. We stopped at the motorway services at the top as it goes through the Atlas about midnight there was a high wind, horizontal rain/sleet and if you did not have gloves your hands stuck to the metal handrail on the bridge. We also had a freezing night in an unclimatised hotel in Ait Benhaddou when we all went to bed immediately after dinner to get warm under the blankets. However at home in Taroudant during the day in the sun it was Tshirt weather. Days are shorter it gets cold at night and you put a coat on when you go inside not outside during the day. Layers are the key and thinking about where you are going heightwise and remembering it gets cold quickly when the sun's gone.

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: December what to pack

Thank you, we will be doing a 5 day trek across the Saghro Massif and an overnight in the Sahara as well so perhaps I should bring a coat/gloves just in case!

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: December what to pack

I have trekked several times across Saghro in the winter and can confirm that it is very cold at night at that time of year, especially if you camp at altitude. Of course, the days are quite short in December and so the nights are correspondingly long. Do think hard about how you will keep warm at night. Equipping yourself with a good quality sleeping bag and sleeping mat is an obvious starting point. I admit that in winter in Saghro I normally climb into my sleeping bag fully clothed, even with my thermal hat on! One year I camped at Tizi n'Ouarg in February and had to remove sheets of ice from the tent the next morning. I don't want to put you off your trek across Saghro at all as the landscape is absolutely magnificent and the days are, for the most part, beautifully warm. On the contrary, I would strongly recommend that you complete this trek, in my opinion one of the best experiences that you can have in Morocco, so long as you are properly prepared for your trip!

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: December what to pack

Some practical suggestions for your winter trek across Saghro:

For the day time, take all that you would normally take for a sunny day in Marrakech, including sun hat, neck scarf, sunscreen and sunglasses. As you will be trekking for several hours each day, it is best that you have shirts, t-shirts and trousers that are specifically designed for the job, allowing your perspiration to wick (evaporate) readily away from your body.

Once the sun has gone down, you will need warm clothes. Others have rightly mentioned the desirability of wearing several layers. A good fleece is also important, along with a good quality rain coat (preferably Gore-tex based) that will protect you from both wind and rain - during the day, if need be, as well as at night. It is very hard to get hold of these items in Morocco so you should definitely bring with you from home. Gloves and hat (preferably thermal) are also important for chilly evenings. If you choose to wear walking boots, which I would recommend, you should also wear thick walking socks which you will then benefit from in the evenings when you are wanting to keep your feet warm. As I said in the posting above, take a good quality sleeping bag, too, along with a good sleeping mat and consider investing in a Thermarest. If you want to avoid my habit of sleeping in day clothes, you might decide to bring nightwear; some people choose thermal long-legged underwear!

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: December what to pack

Thanks so much Alan, we are really looking forward to our trek and your information has been a great help! The company we booked with (morocco explored) confirmed they are providing sleeping bags and sleeping mats. Thanks so much for the suggestions on what to pack it really does help hearing from someone who has done this trek in the winter!

Edited: 10:47 pm, August 27, 2013
Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: December what to pack

You're very welcome. I am really pleased that you are looking forward to your trek. Here is an anecdote to assure you further about the beauty of this quarter of the country:

Two years ago I trekked across Jebel Saghro with a friend in October who, although he had travelled widely in every continent of the world, had never previously trekked in Morocco. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. On our fourth night, as we stood at Igli watching the sun go down behind the rock formation "l'Elephant", he quietly spoke, "This is the most meaningful thing I have ever done in my life." At first I thought he was only joking ....

Edited: 4:49 am, August 28, 2013