We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 11
Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

Hello,

My husband and I will be driving to Fes from Marrakech and wondered if anyone could give us a personal recommendation of somewhere to stay en route as we will be spreading the journey over 2 days and taking the scenic route. We're looking for accommodation somewhere near Beni Mellal, Kasba Tadla or Khenifra. Does anyone have any recommendations please? All suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 35
1. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

Hopefully if you are taking a scenic route this won't involve much of the busy main N8 road.

Accommodation options in Kasbah Tadla are dire. Beni Mellal has a couple of places along the main road that I've stayed, but thought so little of that I didn't even bother to waypoint them. I've stayed three times at Khenifra in the Atlas Zayane (turn right/east in the middle of town at the roundabout with gazelle statues in the middle), but when you read the reviews you might decide to keep searching... tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g734463-d3334…

Marrakech, Morocco
2. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

Thanks, Tim.

Is the Atlas Zayane really as bad as people say in the reviews? Is it clean but basic? Did you eat there? Appreciate your honest opinion.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
3. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

It's modern styled but probably 30-40 years old. It probably exists on big coach tour business. When I've stayed the hotel has been practically empty, certainly no disco. It's clean, has a swimming pool and I'm pretty certain it serves alcohol.

I must have eaten there but can't remember what it was like. I would stay there again, if only because there's nowhere else.

What route are you planning? There's an outstanding route on side roads through the Middle Atlas to Ain Leuh.

Marrakech, Morocco
4. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

The Atlas Zayane doesn't sound quite so bad - maybe we'll try it.

We're just beginning to look at routes but we want to include Cascades d'Ouzoud and Azrou. Not sure at this stage what else there is worth seeing en route. Happy to hear any suggestions. We aim to travel roughly half way on the first day, overnight, then continue on to Fes the second day.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 1
5. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

So if you are going to include Cascade D'ouzoud that would my suggestion place to do the overnight at Riad Cascade D'ouzoud is a better choice for you, and in that special place there is no much better than that, then the next day enjoy the whole nature and breathtaking landscape through the atlas Mountains to Fes, passing by Beni Melal, Khenifra, Azrou Ifran to Fes.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
6. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

From Marrakech cut off on the R210 after about 10km, it's an easy quiet road heading for Demnate. When you get to Demnate go south a few km to visit Imi n'Ifri and spend 40 minutes or so walking down and through. Yes, you could stay in Ouzoud, alternatively a few miles after Azilal on the edge of the reservoir Bin el Ouidane there's a couple of waterfront hotels.

At Khenifra turn right (east) for 25km. You gradually ascend into a cedar forest. Turn left (north) signposted Aguelmane Azigza and Source Oum er-Rbia. The Oum er-Rbia is Morocco's longest river and emerges from the rockface fully formed in a series of powerful springs, so park up and spend an hour or so walking uphill to the springs and exploring. See photos at http://looklex.com/morocco/oum_er-rbia.htm

From there keep heading north following signs for Ain Leuh. It's a lovely drive through the cedar forests and limestone karst scenery. Keep an eye open for signs of small furnaces by the side of the road where the lime is converted to quicklime used in building mortar.

Marrakech, Morocco
7. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

That sounds brilliant, Tim. Thanks so much.

Thanks to you too, Soco, for information about Riad Cascade d'Ouzoud.

We'll be researching this further but you've both given some great information for us to work on. Really appreciate your help!

8. Re: Recommendations for overnight stay en route to Fes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 28, 2014