We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car for Atlas trip??

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland
reviews: 3
Hire car for Atlas trip??

My missus and I are going to Marrakech in September for ten days (incorporating a 3 day stay in Essaouira). We were thinking of hiring a car for a day trip to the Atlas mts. Is this the best way to see the sights?? Any recommendations re car hire companies?? Best to sort out before we fly, or pay on the spot?? Many thanks..............

7 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

yes hiring a car is the best way to explore the Atlas area - gives you flexibility to stop wherever you please

you might be able to negotiate a better price if you do it when you arrive, but obviously it is easier to sort it all out in advance so it is upto you

Luton
reviews: 7
2. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

" Is this the best way to see the sights??"

It rather depends upon how ambitious you are. Frankly, if you want to enjoy the Atlas Mountains at their best, I would suggest that you get as far away from the road as you can. There's no doubt in my mind that the best parts of the Atlas Mountains are reached on foot .... By all means, use a private hire car to reach the mountains first, but then I would recommend putting on some stout shoes or boots and taking a short trek, even if only for a few hours. You're bound to really enjoy it.

Sunderland
3. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

Would we be able to easily pick up trekking maps locally??

Luton
reviews: 7
4. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

If you are in Marrakech, you could pop along to Hotel Ali which has maps of the local Toubkal area available from reception. The 1:100,000 map would do the job for you nicely although sometimes the hotel also has copies of the 1:50,000. They also hold a random selection of maps for other parts of the Atlas. On the other hand, if you wanted to do a bit of pre-planning, then order on-line via The Map Shop (www.themapshop.co.uk) which posts worldwide.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 34
5. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

+1 for Alan's comments.

Imlil is the obvious place to head for, some pics and write-up on posts #12-14 at morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Sunderland
6. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

Many thanks to all 8-)

Alberta, Canada
reviews: 84
7. Re: Hire car for Atlas trip??

Tim,

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. That was an ambitious trip and you've been kind to share your adventures with us. The photos and videos add to our enjoyment. Thank you.

Reply to: Hire car for Atlas trip??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted