We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ballymena, United...
reviews: 1
Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

We have just returned from a week's holiday, staying at the Riu Tikida Garden Hotel in Marrakech. After reading many helpful reviews on Trip Advisor, I wanted to add my own experience.

We (myself, my husband and 3 children aged 13, 11 and 9) travelled to Marrakech on 12 August. The first thing I would advise is that if your airline gives you an embarkment/immigration card, (if not, pick one up in the airport) please fill this in before you join the queue for passport control. Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying. You will also need to complete one on the way home. The queue is very slow - we only had a small number before us, but the people in front of us didn't have the address of their accommodation and after many minutes of arguing with the passport control staff, were asked to stand to the side. As we were waved through, they were still making furious phone calls to get the information.

The transfer to the hotel is only around 20 minutes and the hotel had welcomed all the guests with a glass of fruit punch on arrival. They also kept the restaurant open (this was around 11.00 pm!) so we could eat before going to bed. The staff were more than helpful. The porter will take your bags to your room, so make sure you have some change for a tip.

The facilities at this hotel are excellent - our room was a reasonable size and very clean. There is a large swimming pool, kids club (although our children didn't use it), tennis and badminton courts, table tennis and boules. There is a spa within the complex, but this was payable. If you notice the hammam on the road outside the hotel, please avoid it. There is a reason why it only costs 10 DH, as my husband found to his cost. There is also some entertainment every evening. The hotel is set in beautiful and very well kept gardens which were really enjoyable to walk around. There are 2 main restaurants and a Moroccan restaurant. This is included in the all inclusive package, but you do need to book. It is definitely worth at least one visit for the traditional Moroccan food. The main restaurants provided a wide variety of food and plenty of it. It even passed the test of our picky eaters!

The hotel is around 3 km from the new town, but there is a shuttle bus which runs 6 times per day. There is no need to book it, just wait outside the hotel door. If you want to go to the souks, which are in the old town, (the medina), you will either have to walk or take a taxi. A word of warning - any taxi we took didn't want to take us to the souks - we always seemed to end up either at the driver's brother's shop or off on an entirely different course. Make sure you agree a price for the journey beforehand - we negotiated 100 DH for a grand taxi (a Mercedes) which we needed for all 5 of us. I think small taxis are around 30-50 DH. Take extra care when crossing the roads, we witnessed 3 incidents of people being knocked down - two of those were within an hour of each other.

We booked some trips while we were there - the Atlas Mountains, History trip, horse-drawn carriage trip (all good) Jardin Marjorelle (good but expensive), Aqua Fun Park (not so good - no lockers available and many of the slides were unsuitable for the under 10s).

We made 2 trips to the souks - one by taxi and one by hotel shuttle bus and a walk. We found there wasn't as much leeway on the prices as we had expected. The souks were certainly an experience - be prepared to get completely lost. Once you are in the labyrinth, it's very hard to find your sense of direction. Once we had finished our shopping, we just kept heading straight and eventually made our way out. One hint, if you have a smartphone, is to drop a pin on the map then you'll have a rough idea of which direction to go. We were offered the services of no end of 'guides', but a simple 'no thank you' sorted the problem.

The Jemma El Fna is quieter during the day, but comes alive at night. Watch out for the monkey and snake men - they are eager to help you part with your cash for a photo. We didn't want any photos so steered clear, but if you would like one, agree a price beforehand. Ladies, don't be surprised if you get some unwanted male attention, my experience wasn't pleasant.

We went walking round the area outside our hotel in the evenings. I was wearing sleeveless dresses and was met with some disapproving glances, especially from some of the older women. The temperature was in the high 40s and low 50s while we were there, so I couldn't even think of adding any more layers!

All in all, we really enjoyed our trip to Marrakech and found many of the people to be very pleasant.

I hope this report is useful to anyone staying in Marrakech, particularly at this hotel.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 306
1. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

nice of you to join TA today and write such a glowing report...

any other travels for you??

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

I think you're being a bit harsh charley.

The hotel is a large hotel with many reviews on TA, not a small guest house trying to self-promote. Also, the OP has not named a tour company and gushed about how wonderful the guide was, which is the norm for self-promoting posts.

Yes the OP is making their first post, but we all had to start somewhere.

On a different note - I hope things are ok in Idaho, charley.

London, United...
3. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

Thank you for sharing your trip. I will be going to Marrakech in October and found your report really helpful.

idaho
Destination Expert
4. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

ok, a bit crusty here, was on the hill by our house, and attack helicopters everywhere. was out of the house for 7 nights and now back on PRE evac...ready to leave at any time.

still i always wonder how a # time poster finds TA with out any help..that is just me..

idaho
Destination Expert
5. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

wouldnl't use the word harsh...just wondering. harsh would have me using different words..

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 62
6. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

Hi,

Your report on both the hotel and Marrakech should be helpful and informative for future visitors. Thanks for taking the time to join TA to post your observations. Enjoy your future travels and hopefully you'll post more on TA after your next holiday.

Don't be put off by "harsh" words (maybe not the word I would have used - some folk feel the need to police the forums just because they have visited a destination one time a few years ago) from people who question your right to post your report.

Alberta, Canada
reviews: 91
7. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

And everyone has to post their first review somewhere. Thank you for sharing. We look forward to other reviews from you.

I would also suggest posting hotel information on the RIU Tikida Garden Hotel section of Trip Advisor for Marrakech. Reviews of restaurants and tours are appreciated by Trip Advisor readers too. It's a great way to do research before a trip. Then if anyone has questions or needs more details, the experts on these forums can help.

Over the past few years, I've picked up great tips on Trip Advisor. Seat Guru, one of their sister sites is wonderful. I've not had much success with their site, Gate Guru, YET! But they are tweaking it I hear.

Edited: 6:36 pm, August 23, 2013
Ballymena, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

Thanks, I hope you really enjoy your holiday! I'll also post a separate review for the hotel :)

Edited: 5:17 pm, August 25, 2013
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 21
9. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

Good first time trip report with some useful info...,, so keep up the good work when you revisit this site again:)

10. Re: Trip Report - staying at Riu Tikida Garden Hotel, Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 27, 2014