We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for women in Morocco

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Dress code for women in Morocco

I am traveling to Marrakech, Essaouria, Merzouga, Fez, Chefchaouen and Casablanca. I have heard/read mixed advice on the type of clothing women should wear. Can someone tell me whether women need to be completely covered up (ie long sleeves, pants) or are shorts, tank tops and tshirts ok? Does dress code differ by city?

I know it will be hot in Morocco when I visit in September and would prefer to wear shorts and tank tops if possible. But I don't want to offend anyone there.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

21. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, September 03, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
24 reviews
22. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

Okay, I tried to stay out of this but I want my two penneth! As a woman, I would suggest wearing maxi skirts/dresses and something around your shoulders. You will be an awful lot cooler if you have flowing clothes that allow air to circulate around your body AND you will also be preserving your modesty in the eyes of others (not mention protecting your skin from the sun).

Personally, I don't care whether you are in a Muslim country or not, walking around half naked is not pleasant for other people around you, especially if you are hot and sweaty. Seeing acres of flesh that has been burned to a crisp is not attractive and might put me off my pastilla, which would be unforgivable! ;-)

On a serious note, I think it is rather rude not to cover legs, cleavage and shoulders in a place where it may be seen as offensive. Restaurants and shops have dress codes which people have to abide by - Harrods has rules for example - and you wouldn't turn up to a nice restaurant in a bra and hotpants! These are societal niceties that keep life ticking along; when they are ignored you end up with a hellhole like Blackpool!

As far as religion is concerned, you wouldn't be allowed in the Vatican with a strapless top or mini-skirt - it's not just Muslim countries I'm talking about.

Women are theoretically free to wear whatever they like, however if they have their boobs and bum cheeks on show they lose all right to be offended if people make comments. If you don't want attention, don't dress to attract it. That goes for anyone in any place and is common sense.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
33 reviews
23. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

Well said LaLico.... Glad you decided to put in your 2 penneth!!

I would say to the OP..... take your shorts and tank top. Also take some lightweight items that will enable you to travel through your destinations with comfort, dignity and peace of mind that your journey will be everything you hope it to be.

Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
24. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

For sure, take a variety of different clothes and dress as you feel comfortable and appropriate for you. Light cotton scarves and sarongs can be handy to whip round your shoulders or tied round your waist to cover your legs if necessary.

I was mildy sexually assaulted somewhere in the mountains in a shop and I was, at the time, baggily covered from neck to ankle and wrist. I don't think clothing has a great deal to do with a man's propensity to grope if he's that way inclined!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
52 reviews
25. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

The crowded area around Djemaa el Fna has many gropers, though some Moroccan women carry needles to retaliate.

Edited: 6:09 am, August 25, 2013
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
33 reviews
26. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

At 67 it'd make my day if I had to fend off a groper!! Think I've joined the sisterhood of the much afeared older nanna's now. There's a sort of invisible shield of " mess with me at your peril you lot" that's gradually become part of my 'aura' I'm thinking!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
33 reviews
27. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

Don't mean to sound flippant with above post so sorry if it comes across that way( just an observation of my life now I'm older)

I know it's a real problem for some people . I've read posts on here that come from seriously distressed souls. We are all different at how we handle a situation.

Level Contributor
1,567 posts
3 reviews
28. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

A couple years ago I went into my bank, middle of the day and it was crowded. What immediately caught my eye was a tall slim woman, long legged foreigner, looking impatient. She was wearing short shorts with a matching top. In Taroudant, and in a bank of all places!

I remember an old man in traditional dress looking at me imploringly. Kicking myself ever since for doing/saying nothing.

England, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
15 reviews
29. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

"Kicking myself ever since for doing/saying nothiing."

To whom? The old man or the 'foreigner'? In a previous post you stated that it was nobody's business what Moroccan women wear but you apparently make it your business what tourists/foreigners wear?

This thread really needs to become a closed topic now!

Level Contributor
1,567 posts
3 reviews
30. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

What Moroccan women wear →in their own country← is not the business of foreigners.

Jacqui, maybe anything goes in Portsmouth, but not here. In Morocco there are standards of behaviour and of dress.

Let's keep this thread open!