We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for women in Morocco

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Dress code for women in Morocco

I am traveling to Marrakech, Essaouria, Merzouga, Fez, Chefchaouen and Casablanca. I have heard/read mixed advice on the type of clothing women should wear. Can someone tell me whether women need to be completely covered up (ie long sleeves, pants) or are shorts, tank tops and tshirts ok? Does dress code differ by city?

I know it will be hot in Morocco when I visit in September and would prefer to wear shorts and tank tops if possible. But I don't want to offend anyone there.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 45
1. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

More information about you find on this page up to right - Female Travellers - Clothing & Safety and Clothing for Female Travellers in Marrakech/Morocco

Edited: 4:08 am, August 22, 2013
Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
2. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

I suggest that people aim to cover their shoulders and knees, I.e. T-shirt and cropped trousers or similar.

Sleeveless tops are ok as long as the cleavage is not exposed. Shorts are ok if they are long and not hot pants.

You will need a long-sleeved top in Essaouira.

Taroudannt...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

Dress code is a very important topic and has been covered extensively here. It does depend on where you go, but essentially it's a matter of cultural consideration. Best to err on the side of modesty.

In my opinion, shorts are a no-no for both men and women, unless they are well below the knee. I live in Taroudant and of course I can wear anything I like inside my apartment, but I am careful of what I wear when I go out, but Taroudant is a conservative place, very unlike Agadir just an hour's drive down the road.

Stockholm, Sweden
4. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

In the desert have a long skirt or pants, and blouse with long arms.

Taroudannt...
5. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

I can talk until I'm blue in the face about what constitutes appropriate dress, but that doesn't mean people listen. I have reached the conclusion, based on what I've observed mostly in my town of Taroudant, where many women come out completely veiled in black, that many tourists really do not give a damn. They wear anything they want, and I don't think it even crosses their minds that what they are wearing is offensive to everyone around them.

Why? Because, although these tourists would never admit it, the people of Morocco are brown skinned Muslims and not worthy of respect.

Stockholm, Sweden
6. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

David, I think it is not so exactly as you say now, or? Many have a respect for the people in Morocco I would believe. I think more it is theirs ignorance or what about that.

I saw not long recently some pictures from Oman and was so surprise over tourists clothes, she had so short skirt and only "spageti" band, he had only not even shorts but someting more like swimwear, they were sitting in the desert with one beduin there in his tent and ... I only not understood that those tourists are going so into the desert to people there, without to care.

Edited: 3:30 pm, August 22, 2013
Taroudannt...
7. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

Yes, Khamlia@6, I should have mentioned in my comment that I very often see visitors who do dress properly and try to show cultural consideration, and there is no need to go to extremes such as completely covering the body.

I saw a funny sight the other day: The girl had covered her hair completely, but she was wearing a halter top that left her shoulders completely exposed. We just laughed.

Edited: 5:40 pm, August 22, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 64
8. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

Wendy K

Everyone has different opinions on this and you will see a wide range of dress code when you travel around - what is acceptable does vary from place to place and even within a city it can be different between Old Town and New Town, so there is no catch all answer.

Of the places you mention, Marrakech and Casablanca are the most liberal - although you must cover up when visiting a religious site anywhere.

In general, I would echo the advice given in Post2

Edited: 8:36 pm, August 22, 2013
9. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, September 02, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
10. Re: Dress code for women in Morocco

funny, such thought I got now when I was out and saw some women not wearing just niqab or burga, but had kaftan and covered the hair and I saw even one man wearing I don't know what is the name of such clothes, it was anyway not jalaba. Wondered over if they would not have normal clothes :) living here.

But anyway, I am agree with to personalized clothing for the situation, location, etc. while you are in a Muslim country.