We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech airport

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Runcorn, United...
reviews: 6
Marrakech airport

My husband and I are due to travel to Marrakech 28th. August. This will be our first visit here. I've read some horrible things about Marrakech airport on the airport feedback site; their attitude to women, invasive searches etc. Is it really that bad? I find American customs officials ill tempered and arrogant, Istanbul airport is one to be avoided if you can, but I've never felt afraid. That is almost how I feel at the thought of coming to Marrakech.

11 replies to this topic
Luton
reviews: 7
1. Re: Marrakech airport

I have often been frustrated by very slow-moving queues at passport control but have never seen or heard of any more serious problems.

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 55
2. Re: Marrakech airport

In 12 years of living in Marrakech and having many friends and family visiting, some were and are single women travelling alone, no-one has reported a problem. But as Alan comments the queues through passport control can be extremely frustrating (do the airport authorities REALLY not know how many passengers are in transit or are they being purposely annoying?) If offered on the plane (not all airlines do this), fill in an embarkation card before arrival, or if your airline does not offer them pick up the card immediately on arrival. (Tip: make sure you have your own pen. It's amazing how many folk do not carry this tiny piece of low tech equipment!)

Having said that Jean (if you don't mind the use of your first name) I was subjected to a rather personal search by a customs official on departure from the airport once. He was a bit too eager in his search (I was wearing a money belt). And I'm a bloke!

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Marrakech airport

slow-moving and tedious, yes, but not scary in my opinion. arrival is quite straightforward; as pilobolus says, b.a. carry the immigration forms onboard, but some other airlines do not. please fill in the form before you get to the counter!

if you are travelling as a couple, the rules can be a bit hard to fathom. a couple at the next desk to us were told, quite crossly, that they had to go through one at a time, so we did that, but at the desk on the other side they were being processed as couples....

smiles appear to be on ration, but that is no reason for you to not smile and make eye contact!

on the way out of morocco, you have to fill in the same form again, so keep that pen handy! usually [though this sometimes changes] ladies and gentlemen are separated for security. the two queues are adjacent and you will be in sight of each other the whole time. you go through a metal-detector and then each person is either 'patted down' or 'wanded'. this can feel a little intrusive - but it is soon over. the ladies' queue usually moves faster than the mens'. it might pay you to join the emmigration queue when you get through, rather than waiting for your man if you are with one.

as with all airports, marrakech is best approached with calmness and the consoling thought 'this too will pass'.....

have fun!

4. Re: Marrakech airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:33 am, October 28, 2013

Marrakech, Morocco
reviews: 8
5. Re: Marrakech airport

'Afraid' is not a word I would ever use regarding Marrakech airport - and I've been in and out of there a number of times. As others say, please make sure you fill in the embarkation card before queueing for passport control when you arrive. The queues here can sometimes seem very long if several flights land at once, and therefore you may feel a tad frustrated. The officers are not friendly but just smile anyway, you're on holiday after all! On the way back, fill in the same form again. Usually there are 2 separate queues at customs, one for men and one for women. Put your bags,coats etc on the conveyor belt and walk through the metal detector as you would elsewhere in the world. You will be frisked by a burly female officer (a male obviously for the men) - but it's no worse than anywhere else. They just want you to know they are in control. If you look at the bigger picture, that's not a bad thing in my opinion. Then it's just passport control again. Easy peasy, There really is nothing to worry about, so just go and enjoy your holiday :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 33
6. Re: Marrakech airport

I must have lady luck on my side. I normally travel overland, but in recent years I've flown into Marrakech airport several times and been amazed how efficient everything was.

London, United...
reviews: 53
7. Re: Marrakech airport

Never had a problem myself, just slow as previous posters have commented.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
8. Re: Marrakech airport

I have been to Marrakech airport more times than I can actually remember as a single female traveller and have never experienced a bad attitude towards women.

Passport control can be slow, but baggage reclaim is usually quicker than the UK.

When leaving Marrakech airport, at security you will have to walk through the metal detector and have a pat down. Some people don't like the pat down. Personally I prefer the pat down rather than being stuck in the 'x-ray' scanner - much quicker and far less humiliating.

I bet we all have our least favourite airport - Manchester is mine.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 15
9. Re: Marrakech airport

Thank you will have a better time now you have said that we arrive 9th Sep

Edited: 6:32 am, August 20, 2013
Runcorn, United...
reviews: 6
10. Re: Marrakech airport

Thank you all for your replies. I feel better now!

Reply to: Marrakech airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted